"Only a mad can be fully original"

In ‘The Age of Faith’, W. Durant said something like “Only a mad can be fully original”. (Trying to translate his statement from a translation)
I was impressed by his statement. I must say I’ve seen some original people here. Don’t you think so?

3 Likes

I haven’t read that one by Durant, but what was the context? I imagine he didn’t imply originality is all that is needed.

11:11 of pure madness.

Yes. He says Avicenna is influenced by Al-Farabi and Aristotle and it is natural to be influenced. Then he says only a mad can be fully original.

Oh … then he’s implying that the mad aren’t influenced … which we can see now is wrong. It sounded good though, Will. :wink:

That reminds me on a concept of schyzoanalysis by philosophers G. Deleuze and F.Guattari. According to them, a poets are typical schizoids because they inhabitate
their own worlds.
maybe you’ll find it interesting.

1 Like

Though nothing really practical and livable comes from poetizing the madness.

Much Madness is divinest Sense-
To a discerning Eye-
Much Sense - the starkest Madness-
'Tis the Majority
In this, as All, prevail-
Assent - and you are sane-
Demur - you’re straightway dangerous-
And handled with a Chain -
- Emily Dickinson -

3 Likes

Good point Think of Heraclitus.

Its a good poem.

But its much more complicated. With divinity comes a suffer and loneliness of being the Other.

It could be both cathartic and hurtful at the same time. Maybe a self therapy ha?

It wouldn’t be the first theory of writing as a therapeutical act.
It can be sort of a temporary relief.
Im just concerned about practical benefits…
Baudelaire…Nietzsche…Hemigway…

www.connerpartners.com/.../use-mindset-and-behavior-patterns-to-your-

Parts of our originality can still be categorized in the different mind sets we adapt to through our thoughts, actions and words. My originality is in expressing the freedom to relate to all mind sets which some of them I can only relate to those by not being able to relate. Like trying to grasp eternity of time space etc…

sorry that that web site is not able to down load, …I just googled “mind sets”.

1 Like

Scholars here. I love it.
Question. Did you start studying philosophy/psycology as a result of your MI?
I also can see this as becoming maddening in itself yet therapeutic once stabilized.
Any degrees? Thoughts?

These are your words. The question “how should one live his/her life” is a question I can’t answer. But If your concern on these writers’ life reflects your concerns about your life, I can only say that one shouldn’t compare his/her life with others - unless he/she wants to be like others.

This is a hard question. I’ve had MI since my childhood; I can’t be sure.

I’m not ‘stabilized’. My mind is free.

No.

1 Like

Thats what my pdoc told me :smile:
Never compare yourself to the others.
But i meant on the contradiction between the conception of an art as therapeutical work and the fact how they actually lived and ended up.
When it comes to a link between madness and orginality, i would rather call it a certain sensitivity of the character. There is a number of artist with mental issues but it shouldnt be generalized over the many different factors which determines such a phenomenon.

Reminded me:
My brain is open.” - Paul Erdős

Personally, I don’t read too much on any subject so that I can come to the same conclusions composed of tid- bits of information collected from the brightest minds to the simpler ways of thinking by myself, basically, as the scholars learn to do when deciphering in their own way of applying originality.

I think that if we learn just the basics of any given field and refrain from becoming too inundated with the knowledge of a particular subject, that we might discover for ourselves something different and that is where originality comes into play. It’s like we know through learning the basics how to, and which direction to set off in,in exploring more the unchartered space of that particular interest.

1 Like

I’ve never been an artist so I can’t know their thinking but if nothing is certain in this world, than how do you live and how do you die aren’t to be judged. We need to experience this life; ‘how to experience it’ is irrelevant.
Remember Rimbaud -again-:
Life is the farce we are forced to endure.