Online harassment/ protecting this community

Manual moderator intervention. I would make a request to szadmin that northernsky not be allowed to contact me, northernsky would be notified, we would both be required to abide by this, and if there was a violation, then northernsky or I would alerts the mods and discipline would follow. If either of us created a new account to circumvent the ban and this was discovered, automatic 1 month global ban (or whatever).

2 Likes

I canā€™t follow you lol.
My thought processing is slower than turtle today.

I am so concerned that Iā€™m manic, lol.

If I started harassing you, you could file a complaint with the mods.

The mods would review it, then tell me to leave you alone - do not message you or reply to you.

You would also be required to not message or reply to me.

If I continued bothering you, you would flag and notify the mods, and I would be banned/disciplined accordingly.

If I created a new account to continue bothering you, I would be banned on all accounts for 1 month (an example) for a first violation.

But thatā€™s whatā€™s happening already. And they kept doing it.

I wasnā€™t aware that they were being told not to contact us, sorry. I thought it was more like, Stop being a jerk, not Stop communicating with Rhubot. I guess I just want this process formalized and published so posters are better aware of their rights and restrictions. Iā€™d like to be told, ā€œdanddolo/northernsky has been forbidden from interacting wih you. If you feel he has violated this restriction, notify a mod and progressive dicipline will follow according to this schedule.ā€

And Iā€™d like the fact that he started with waterway, moved to sarad, then me, then cj, then you, now Claire, to be taken into account.

3 Likes

In the past when I have been ill and I felt things were directed AT me and stuff.

This is a signal to me to leave, sometimes for months. Yes I miss the support but I need to be far far away.

Yes - thats how weā€™ve handled it before. We can definitely get more specific as needed.

Right now there is no ability to ā€œblockā€ and as I think others have communicated, the software developers are against that type of intervention because they see it more as a moderatorā€™s job, and you start splitting up the community where a person canā€™t see half a conversation because a given personā€™s posts might be blocked in a thread. That creates all sorts of issues and probably uses a ton of Computer resources (deciding on a person by person basis what to show and what to not show in real-time) for thousands of users.

So - right now - the key tool we have is flagging - and also let us know when you want us to step in and tell a person not to PM you if you are being harassed.

3 Likes

Oohs then can I request that northern sky/Dandolo never directly PM me or reply to my posts too? Like, officially?

Alright than, thatā€™s clarified. Thank you for your support

Youā€™re probably right. Iā€™m just a little sensitive about internet stuff. Iā€™ve just seen so many things in real life. :confused:

VERY good point. Wouldnā€™t we do better to learn how to detach and learn how to set appropriate boundaries without going black-and-white / all-or-nothing about something else.

1 Like

Perhaps we would. But it can take a yearsā€¦
And the in between sucks really really bad.

1 Like

Please be nice to people who register on the autism spectrum. We canā€™t exactly help it.

Pixel.

3 Likes

So because you think this is a forum exclusively for those with schizophrenia ( you are wrong) that means people should be allowed to behave badly towards the opposite sex?

2 Likes

Given the nature of psychosis/schizophrenia and itā€™s effect on social skills from time to time people who are not otherwise antisocial will behave inappropriately. Are these people as bad as trolls?-no. Still these people can cause disruption. At what point does providing a community for a mentally ill person irrespective of how well they are irretrievably clash with the comfort and well being if forum members in general .
One solution might be an escalating scale of bans with total expulsion being a very last resort option.
Should giving leeway to the individual mentally ill person always trump the feelings of discomfort to others who are mentally ill that their repeated behaviour may cause?

2 Likes

The behavior at issue has been more consistent here over almost eight months than you may be aware of. (I lurk more than I let on even though I make a lot of noise at times.)

Dance and jab. Dance and jab. One way or another. (Sometime just for the folks at ringside.)

Thatā€™s what I was trying to make aware with that statement. northernsky is very smart and seems to have that about his online persona. No attack was purposeful.

I take your point but teasing out what is non illness related antisocial behaviour vs illness related poor social skiils may not be that easy.

1 Like

Might be for you. Not for me.

But, whatever.