Online classes suck

I am not learning ANYTHING about statistics. The only thing I am learning is how to pull information from the world’s most boring powerpoints and use it to answer questions. I am not retaining a single thing I’ve “learned” from the whole class. I mean, it’s easy enough to get a good grade, but I was hoping to actually develop a proficiency in the subject, not just get a good grade.

Does anyone else have online class woes?

Programming is better, because the teacher actually makes entertaining youtube videos with jokes and stuff so my eyes aren’t just glazed over.

7 Likes

I’m taking a free online class on alison.com. I like it

1 Like

have you tried khan academy?

i was doing it in the beginning of the pandemic.

2 Likes

Yeah, khan academy is a free online website that helps learn school topics

1 Like

The khan academy videos are fine and all, but not really very engaging for me. So I still don’t retain any info beyond the time it takes to watch the video and answer the questions.

2 Likes

Maybe my real problem is that the homework and exams are all multiple choice, with no practical element. If there was a part where I actually had to do the work myself from start to finish, I think I would retain it better. But the assignments are all basically busywork just to check the “did student complete task” box.

2 Likes

So you basically have to learn…
Ctrl+F, Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V?

Yeah that doesn’t seem very engaging.

3 Likes

I completely agree. When the pandemic started I was in my college statistics class and I completely stopped learning when it all went online. It made it so hard to feel engaged and I stopped retaining everything. I was doing well in that class and all of my others but ended up failing all of them due to them going online

3 Likes

I tried helping my niece in geometry but they only had 1 example, no textbook, and that was it. It was a geometry proof and I forgot all about that stuff. I hated geometry and didn’t take it since high school 12+ years ago lol. I couldn’t help her. It sucked. I worry about the quality of education these days for kids as well as the lack of social skills they’re getting. On top of that they’re grades are not that good. I don’t blame them at all. It’s the situation.

For me, I’m a little worried about taking classes online like physics or programming. It’s nice because I don’t have to go drive or meet people or whatever and I can stay home, but I wonder about the virtual lab or physical lab that goes along with it. That and some people prefer and do better around other people in person.

2 Likes

Agreed!! Online classes suck, but they can be substantially better because of my physical disability.

Also, stats is harder to learn without offline support.

You got this!!!

3 Likes

I take piano and Spanish lessons all online and I don’t really notice any difference between offline and online learning.

2 Likes

I’m doing a course online right now. Really enjoying it, the instructor is engaging.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 95 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.