Ongoing tobacco abstinence in smokers with serious mental illness reduces risk of heart attack

CONCLUSIONS:

Sustained tobacco abstinence reduced 10-year cardiovascular risk in outpatients with serious mental illness despite significant post cessation weight gain and high prevalence of obesity, diabetes, and hypertension.

Source:

4 Likes

That’s more or less what a doctor told me once. I didn’t realise there was such a strong relationship between cardiovascular disease and smoking until then.

1 Like

i’m glad i quit, it was really bad for me and now i hope to live an extra twenty years because of that :wink: :smile:

1 Like

Still smoking as much as possible.

The chest pains are becoming more and more frequent and at times intense.

If i went i wouldn’t really care, not now. I need the rest. This interdimensional stuff is very scary and intense.

thats a â– â– â– â–  way of looking at things

You acknowledge that you are dependent on a substance that is proven to significantly increase probability of disease and death, but you weigh this up against quitting as a lesser of the two evils; how about a compromise?

Look into e-cigs. In recent times it has become possible for one to personally control the amount of nicotine concentrated into the other liquids (including a myriad of flavorings) that make it possible to vaporise effectively and safely. You can obtain the liquids separately and mix to taste - this can involve (but doesn’t have to) a conscientious effort towards slowly reducing the amount of nicotine. You can do it slowly enough that “the addiction” is unaware. Even if you didn’t make any effort to reduce the nicotinic concentrations, it is healthier to vaporise than to combust - more economical too.

No point rushing your demise when there are healthier alternatives that won’t subtract from the therapeutic value of smoking nor take away any of your own control over that. Give it some thought :slight_smile: Vaping is actually quite fun as a result of all the personalisation options.

1 Like