Schizophrenia.com

Old parents

My dad has an advanced Parkinson. He is horrible and tortures my mom. She is crying all day so I can’t focus on anything. I am afraid I will lose her before he passes away. I am trying to convince her to send him to a hospice - she doesn’t want to hear about it. I start thinking she is selfish because in the end everything will fall on my back. I have a brother at Austria, but he doesn’t care about us and he won’t help with anything. That’s why I hate him and I don’t talk to him
I am super scared…

3 Likes

My dad will be 70 in a month and my mom is now 72. I’m still in my 20s and they’re in their 70s which is a pretty big gap. Their health is starting to give them issues but they take care of it. They seem to have health appointments every single day. Nothings too serious yet. But if they didn’t take care of it they might not be doing too well. My parents have always been afraid of old age. They’re pretty youthful for their age. They got a book called how not to die

I’m glad they’re taking care of themselves

I wish your parents good health too. How old are they?

4 Likes

My mom is 70, my dad is 78. I am happy to hear your parents take care of themselves. My mom is not like this… :frowning:

1 Like

Damn well that’s tough. Sorry to hear. I could relate to having old parents. But like my grandparents who lived to 90s, my parents are still doing things. My mom rows every week. I think she’ll do it as long as she can.

Idk what you can do if they don’t take care of themselves. It sounds tough I’m sorry.

3 Likes

well I think I will start going to the gym everyday to clear my mind and not stay with them. I don’t know where else could I escape from this atmosphere

4 Likes

Can you hike anywhere in the woods lol that’s my favorite for clearing my mind. Also good exercise

1 Like

I don’t like going to the woods especially on my own. I don’t like going for a walk with no goal.

2 Likes

@VanGogh I’m so sorry your family is going through this. I think your idea of going to the gym is a really great way to deal with the stress.

1 Like

My parents are elderly
My brother and sister live way down south
My sister wants us to move down near her but my mother wront hear of it so I will be alone looking after parents I am scared about this
It’s hard enough even look after self

2 Likes

Only child of a single mother here, I’ll be taking care of my mother when she gets older, and I’m scared.

3 Likes

That sounds pretty rough. Make sure you take care of yourself though. There’s nothing worse than feeling powerless.

3 Likes

My father had Parkinson’s. It is a terrible disease, both for the afflicted and for their family members and caregivers.

Unfortunately, Parkinson’s is a progressive disease and your father’s condition will likely worsen over time. He may need home care services helping your mom out with him or eventually he may need to be in a full-time care nursing facility.

Try to take care of yourself and find ways to reduce your stress.

Also gently encourage your mother to make time to take care of herself and to try to reduce her stress levels when possible. Ask her to speak with a social worker to figure out the various levels of care available for your father as he will eventually need care beyond what your mother will be able to provide.

1 Like

You spend your whole life fighting schizophrenia and then spend the rest of your life looking after parents and then you get old
:pensive:

1 Like

Can anyone say anything cheerful

Sure. When you’re ready for it, dying is a glorious experience.

My parents are well into their 80s.
My Mom is wheelchair bound and has dementia.
I am constantly helping out.

I don’t know what will happen in the future.
I too am scared @VanGogh.

there are no social workers in Bulgaria. My mom doesn’t want me to help her changing my dad’s pampers and washing his butt from the ■■■■. She bathes him too. The only thing I can do is being her moral support and walking the dog after work

My mom had me at 21, I’m really glad she’s young. If I have a kid it will likely be in my forties, so I’m a little worried about that. The world might do a lot of changing by then though and it might be easier with better medicine and so forth. One can hope.

1 Like

Could you contact the Bulgarian Red Cross? They mention social services and “home care” centers on their website.

Home Care” Centers providing complex health cares and social services to older people with chronic diseases and permanent disabilities at their homes”

http://en.m.redcross.bg/activities/activities5

Also, here is the website for the World Parkinson Coalition.

https://www.worldpdcoalition.org/page/Partners

They list the Bulgarian Neurological Society as one of their coalition partners.

http://www.nevrologiabg.com

4 Likes

my father has survived 3 different types of cancer (one too recent to say real recovery)
testicle
prostate
skin

my mum walked out infront of me a year ago
her leg was at a right angle above the ankle, bones on one side
she had another fall and broke some ribs,
had DVT and pulmonary embolism
a year on one of the screws has slipped 3 weeks ago and is now positioned in the middle of her ankle joint (i’ve seen the X-ray)
another operation
I don’t know if if complications are still going to be fatal