Old Age Creeping In

My beautiful hair is full of grey and has shrunk greatly, my knees are aching almost every day, my ED is so bad I’ve pretty much lost function, my stomach protrudes out greatly, I can’t read very well, and my muscles have atrophied. On the other hand my voices rarely bother me, and past issues are fading away which I thought would never happen. So now that I’m free of my chains for the most part I can’t do much about it. Thing is I’m only 53.

5 Likes

I’m 58 years old and am the same way.
Yeah getting old sucks

3 Likes

I think we conflate two things. Old age is beautiful. Bad health is bad. If you can be old without health issues you are lucky.

3 Likes

Thats a good way to look at it. I know lots of old active people in good health also lots of old people with declining health.
I think being active can prolong good health but also genetics play a role too.

Like somehow I have excellent teeth but I eat junk food for years and years. 35 years and no cavity or anything. And i dont floss my teeth just a 1min brushing 1 or 2 times a day. Thats gotta be genetics.

2 Likes

Definitely genetics factors in things

1 Like

I’m 68 and of course living with Sz and a boatload of physical ailments but I just gave myself a haircut and beard transition to a mustache and I feel better. Oh and I’ve got hairy titties (thanks Abilify) and a bulging stomach even after losing 40 lbs over the past half year. And of course I wish I could get Hardons like when I was 16. But hey! I’m still kicking. So yeah baby.

4 Likes

I’ll officially be a pensioner in January. Psychologically I’m not handling that well. Have achieved little of value beyond being a good husband and father.

2 Likes

I’m turning 53 on March 20, 2023. The last two days I’ve been going back uphill, getting out of my apartment after a bad episode of depression from going off Lexapro. I didn’t think the Lexapro was doing anything whatsoever and that all antidepressants were junk but now I know better. I’m depressed right now but the Lexapro caused my throat to constrict except at a very low dosage so I’ll be trying another though I’m out of options having tried them all. Maybe there’s a new one out there I haven’t been on.
Today I walked farther than yesterday.
My sanity comes and goes and maybe the best remedy for me is sleep.
Funny thing, I can do simple math easier and better than when I was young. My handwriting has improved 100%. I can still read when I feel better. I think I’d be okay mentally if I never read again such a valuable investment that was.
My problem is my body is shot. I think my mental pain has made it weak and very, outrageously, old.

Excuse me, but that’s a tremendous feat and you should be giving yourself much more credit here.

:hugs:

4 Likes

I’ll be 61 in April. can’t complain…I have ailments like a knotting abdomen muscle but at least I can live with it with no surgery…just found that out …nursing a jammed index finger right now. other than that…life is smooth and happy.

2 Likes

For me it’s been less of a case of old age creeping in and more like it chopping a hole in my door with an axe and shouting HERE’S JOHNNY!!! Less than subtle.

3 Likes

Hubby is in his 50s. I’m in my late 30s. I’ve had knee trouble all my life and have had several surgeries, so I’m used to feeling a bit broken in that regard. It’s left me open to some pretty nasty arthritis. That, plus blood clots, back surgery, etc etc… I’m not a spring chicken. But it seems so strange to me that my husband is also aging, unfathomable even. I don’t know why, but others aging- especially hubby- is so very strange. In my heart, in my eyes, he’s still 30.

2 Likes

Isn’t there a global shortage of good husbands and good fathers? Quite a contribution and achievement I’d say.

1 Like

That can be rare these days! It’s a huge accomplishment!

1 Like

I think it’s less a case of being rare than that stories of good dads and stepdads don’t sell copy like stories about wicked dads/stepdads do.

1 Like

You did a good job, that’s the point! Hopefully you can acknowledge that!

A long lasting effect of the bullying I was subjected to is wondering whether I’ll ever be good enough as a person be it as a dad/caring enough/generous enough/intelligence wise etc etc.

1 Like

Yeah, I know how it feels. I was also treated like sh-it by my peers. Kids, teens and even adults can be so cruel.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.