Odd question? Maybe delusion

Thank you. Right now with the help of the meds I am reteaching my brain to think normally again.
I had psychosis like symptoms when i use to smoke and manage just fine. I think I can live whitout meds.

Please use a doctor’s guidance to taper down, don’t just cold turkey quit or you could possibly lose your mind.

1 Like

I always tell myself I will wait a few years before going off.

If you’re stable already, no need to rush things.

1 Like

You can experience some psychotic symptoms on certain APs.
I hallucinated on Abilify and also Seroquel.

Talk to your doctor about it @anon73425833.

1 Like

I don’t hallucinate, but I have some weird thoughts sometimes and racing thoughts also.
Thank you for the support

APs are supposed to slow down thinking.
I’m not sure but maybe it’s your illness.
It’s best to ask your doctor.

1 Like

Is like my mind nows that this is a bad thing to think about and with my permission it just thought of it, if I think about how bad it is it’s just getting worse, this last under 30 seconds. If that made any sense, I am a monkey :joy:

1 Like

No but…schizophrenia will recurr following discontinuing medication.

With an established diagnosis of schizophrenia, stopping psych meds will increase risk of recurrence of symptoms possibly including hearing voices. It is not the withdrawal from the medication itself that triggers the schizophrenic episode. It is the disease itself flaring up. When people with schizophrenia stop their medication a sizable portion of them will relapse every month.

There is a also phenomenon called supersensitivity psychosis. It is a known side effect of long-term antipsychotic treatment, in which a patient presents with new or worsened psychosis, often co-occurring with abnormal involuntary movements, due to upregulation of dopamine receptors due to chronic dopamine blockade and an exaggerated response of the receptors to dopamine.

1 Like

@anon73425833 are you familiar with intrusive thoughts? These are random thoughts or images that pop into your mind, seemingly from nowhere. They tend to be very disturbing. I get them, and my intrusive thoughts are usually horribly sexual and/or violent. They used to greatly upset and frighten me. I even thought I was a bad person for having them. But my doctor eventually explained it like this.

The human brain is very complex, and works in ways we don’t fully understand. One byproduct of human thought is these random, disturbing thoughts that pop into our heads from time to time. Most people have them, and just never talk about them or pay them any attention. They just think, “huh, that was a weird thought,” and move onto the next thought that comes to mind.

But a few of us get stuck. We fear these thoughts, and get upset over them. That makes them more likely to occur again in the future. The more upset you get, and the more you try to prevent the thoughts from coming, the more often they happen. The best way to deal is, when hey happen, just think, “This is a completely random thought that means nothing. It has no bearing on the kind of person I am. It will soon be replaced by another random thought.”

Doing this has really helped me to cut down on the number of intrusive thoughts I have.

4 Likes

@anon73425833 I also had a drug induced psychosis, mainly triggered by weed. Although I quit smoking after my first episode, it later developed into schizo-affective.
The symptoms you describe are part of the disease. I would recommend you to try Sarcosine, you might as well have a NMDA hypofunction that is left untreated by current available antipsychotics. At least that was the case with me, I know very well how disabling it can be with disturbing thoughts that don’t seem to resonate from yourself and makes you totally feel alienated. After a couple of days on Sarcosine, those symptoms disappeared for 80/90%. I once made the mistake to quit Sarcosine after a year or better said I forgot what a life-changer it was and within a month all those disabling symptoms returned. After I recalled that I needed Sarcosine I prevented a break-down/crisis and I have used Sarcosine for 5 years straight, every day. Though, I’ve been of Sarcosine for more than 3 years and those disabling symptoms never returned, I guess Sarcosine did cure some things antipsychotics couldn’t. You might also want to look into NAC (N-Acetyl-Cysteine) and L-Theanine or a combo of those 2/3 supplements. (I personally never benefited from NAC or L-Theanine but loads of other people do.)

And about racing thoughts, I had them as a symptom quite often too due to emotional stress even though I was on 10/15mg Zyprexa. What really helped to slow down my thought-process and think straight again was Mirtazapine, maybe ask your doc about a sedating/antidepressant drug that will calm your thoughts because racing thoughts might as well contribute to another crisis.
And do some antipsychotics make your symptoms worse? In my case, yes, I wasn’t aware of it but all those years I was on a high dosage of Zyprexa, my symptoms were worse because one might think, the higher the dosage, the less symptoms. Well, turns out, it’s not the case. After I switched to Latuda my symptoms became less. After I added the lowest dose of Zyprexa (2.5mg) my symptoms became less. While mix and matching I tried a low dosage of Seroquel and my symptoms got worse again. After ditching Seroquel and upping the dosage of Zyprexa while I already was on Latuda my symptoms became worse again. Right now I’m on the lowest dose of Latuda and Zyprexa, although, it’s sure is not a cure but my symptoms are quite manageable rather than being on the highest dosages possible.

Discuss it with your pdoc, good luck!

1 Like

Yes it is possible :pensive::pensive::pensive: