Nurse asked me to get 2nd opinion

So the last time I went to see my nurse practitioner she told me she doesn’t think she’s helping me and asked me to go see a pdoc in the office for a second opinion. I’m a little shocked. I don’t want to go see another person who’s going to start playing around with all my meds.

I think the problem is that I have negative symptoms after experiencing psychosis in 2014. The nurse won’t hear of it, so I guess she must think I have depression or something that’s just not getting better. I’m unmotivated and anhedonic, but I truly think this is as good as it’s going to get and do not want a med change.

I told her I would see someone else, because I feel like I wasn’t really given a choice. Now I’m regretting it.

Don’t I get a say in all this?

2 Likes

I see a psychiatrist every 3 months. When was the last time you saw one ? If it’s some time ago then it’s probably a good idea to see one again.

2 Likes

I haven’t ever seen a psychiatrist, always a nurse practitioner.

Oh geez. Definetely go and see one then.

5 Likes

Sounds like she is over her head.
Maybe she’s inexperienced, I’m not sure.
Anyhow I would see another doctor.
It can’t hurt.

You might even like the new doctor better than the nurse.

4 Likes

@anon1517417 I know this is off the topic but how did your biopsy results say? I am worried about you…and yes I think you should see a psychiatrist.

4 Likes

I guess it wouldn’t hurt, especially if I explain my reluctance to start changing all my meds if I think they’re otherwise working.

Like @everhopeful said, maybe it’s about time I saw an actual doctor.

Just not looking forward to more experiments.

1 Like

I got an email that my results are available on the patient portal, but they caution patients who could have a potential cancer diagnosis to think carefully about getting them that way. I have a post-operative appointment on Friday and will find out then. I figure it would be better to have someone there to explain the results and to answer my questions. Maybe to talk me off the ledge if they’re not as good as I hoped. It’s hard knowing that the results are just right there if I want to look though. It’s going to be a hard week.

Thank you so much for asking. I’ve never been more scared in my life. :grimacing:

4 Likes

The people in this field do not deal with negative symptoms I even believe that some of them do not even know what they are I have been going to the same place for 10 years and not once have they ever ask me about my negative symptoms which have been pretty bad at times I even ask people on this website if they were ever asked about their negative symptoms and a lot of people said no and they had to bring it up just like I did and then when you bring it up your doctor who ever has not much or anything to say about it there was even this one time when I was telling my doctor about it and she was automatically trying to put me on an antidepressant and I said I’m not depressed these are negative symptoms and she didn’t seem to know what they were I am sick of people in this field not even acknowledging them they are a huge major problem

3 Likes

Yeah, my pdoc doesn’t acknowledge them.

1 Like

I don’t get it. Do they not teach this stuff in school? Maybe they just ignore them because they can’t do anything about them. It’d be nice to get some validation every once in a while though. It annoys me that my nurse practitioner is so dismissive.

1 Like

The whole field does not even deal with them so it doesn’t surprise me if they have long forgotten about them since the time they were in school there’s something really wrong here

1 Like

I believe that for the mental health workers to acknowledge negative symptoms in their sz/sza patients would be akin to encouraging negative symptom behavior, so, they don’t acknowledge negative symptoms. Besides, they can’t do anything about them anyway so they are darn sure they are not going to acknowledge them and therefore encourage it.

@anon1517417. How did your post-op appointment go yesterday?

1 Like

Well, I have cancer but it’s in its earliest stage. It hasn’t spread yet. I have an appointment with a local oncologist next Friday, and then one at Johns Hopkins for a second opinion the following Wednesday. I think most likely I’m going to lose my uterus. I’m glad that it’s early on at least, but I did want to have children. I don’t know, maybe there’s something else they can do. I sure don’t want to put myself at more risk though.

Thanks for thinking of me. Yesterday and today have been pretty overwhelming.

4 Likes

Oh my gosh. So sorry. I hope you are able to beat it okay. Praying for you.

1 Like

I’m sorry to hear about this @anon1517417.
I’ll be praying for you as well.

1 Like

I’ll pray for you as well, @anon1517417. May Gd bless you.

1 Like

I’m so sorry that you have cancer @anon1517417. It’s good that they caught it at an early stage.

2 Likes

I’m so sorry @anon1517417 I’m praying for you.

2 Likes