Now I am become death

This is something frequently recited be one of my voices. I thought some of you may enjoy to hear.

Prince Arjuna hesitates to attack the enemy with his army; Vishnu, in the incarnation of Krishna, encourages him, and motivates him by explaining how the world works, with reincarnations, Brahman, Maya etc. Arjuna asks to see Vishnu in his “cosmic”, i.e. real, form, a wish that is granted. The overwhelmed Arjuna asks:

Tell me who are You in such a fierce form? My salutations to You, O best of gods, be merciful! I wish to understand You, the primal Being, because I do not know Your mission.

The Supreme Lord said: I am death, the mighty destroyer of the world, out to destroy. Even without your participation all the warriors standing arrayed in the opposing armies shall cease to exist.

Therefore, get up and attain glory. Conquer your enemies and enjoy a prosperous kingdom. All these (warriors) have already been destroyed by Me. You are only an instrument, O Arjuna.

Bhagavad Gita, chapter 11, verses 31-33

The perhaps common misquote (some say) of this verse is by Robert J Oppenheimer (The father of the atomic bomb for those of you who don’t know and the head of the Manhattan Nuclear Project)

“We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried. Most people were silent. I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad Gita; Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and, to impress him, takes on his multi-armed form and says, ‘Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.’ I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.” - Robert J Oppenheimer

1 Like

All of the other food items cowered in fear and awe at him.

For he rose above them with much power.

He was taco supreme, the most supreme of all items and the grandest as well.

His sour cream glistened and caused all before him to weep.

And the mountain of cheddar cheese that lay atop of his holy beef was plentiful.

He truly is the supreme one.