Not to be a downer, but does anyone here consider themselves successful for normal standards?

I’ve been recently diagnosed. My biggest concern is I won’t be able to achieve normal things like a good occupation, physical health/fitness, a happy family. I would expect these things to be rare in a population of people with severe illness, but has anyone been able to push through their symptoms and be competitive against neurotypicals?

1 Like

And if so, what’s your secret? What kept you focused? We’re you just lucky, did you work hard, a combination?

I’m more sucessful than Steve Jobs.

Steve Jobs thought he could treat himself using alternative quack cures and then he died as a result.

I’m taking my meds. No quack cures. And so far I’m still alive.

9 Likes

Good point, things like this should be given credit

2 Likes

It’s not a black & white thing. I’m worse off than many neurotypicals, I’m better off than many others. My jobs have been mostly entry level labor jobs but at least I ain’t in prison or doing drugs (anymore). I do my job and live in my nice apartment and I try not to bug anyone (for the most part). I pay taxes, I drive my car,

I try to be as kind as I can but I don’t always succeed. I’m a relatively good son and brother, a good worker at my janitor job, a fairly good neighbor. I am friendly at work and to cashiers and service people. I asked my sister flat out last week if I’m a burden to the family and she told me no. I have my life, even though I’m 57 years old and I have had schizophrenia since I was 19 I still have my little adventures and my little fun and excitement.

I’m not doing drugs or drinking or anything illegal so I’m more responsible than a lot of people. And when you ask questions like this there is no ultimate answer of equality between me and normal people. It’s relative. I am doing better than many other people around the world with out schizophrenia. It’s all relative.

10 Likes

I used to have a good job and was getting a masters degree before my diagnosis. Honestly I think I can push through and accomplish what I set out to do after taking medical leave from the program to get my meds right.

My lack of success is mostly social. Relationships and all that, I never was good at them and the sza makes it worse

1 Like

I’m successful by most neurotypical standards.

5 Likes

@anon82230070
I live a seemingly normal life, just with a lot of help. I am married, and we own a business. We have two children. I take kids to preschool, visit family, and spend play dates with friends. We go to Church. I work hard to live as normal as possible for my husband and kids. But, behind the scenes, I also go to counseling once or twice each week. I visit the psychiatrist every other week. I take medication. I go into the hospital when I need to.

My best piece of advice is this: “Do what you can, when you can.” Work hard on good days to make up for the bad days. Avoid apathy. Prepare for harder times. Do the basics. Drive. Buy groceries. Cook. Clean. Do laundry.

How are you coping with your new diagnosis? Do you work? Are you in school? Do you have friends? Do you live on your own? Is your family supportive?

6 Likes

So far, yeah. I’m physically fit and doing very well in university. But I’m not sure I can manage to stay “successful” when I finish my studies and it’s time to (hopefully) start a family and have a career.

2 Likes

Ive found i cant beat it
I tried to achive like crazy father was a very high achiever
I wasnt any good after schizophrenia hit age 16/17 even as the only non dyslexic child
I got good gcses but was crap before age 18 exams
Im a disappointment because i didnt go to Oxford and meet a better class of people

Anyway i fought for 15 years
Training studying working
I got a lot of first year certificates but at crunch time id become hospitalized
I wanted it so badly i risked everything for it
I wanted to achieve so much that i caused physical damage doing yoga wrongly after teacher training i didnt complete
I came off meds thinking i was strong
And ended up in hospital for 9 months, having an abortion and stalking people
Made nyself selectively homeless for a few days at huge risk on my own in less than a full outfit with no socks and shoes

The point is a bleak and absolute no
For me
I have run a half marathon at midnight in the arctic circle in summer
But it wasnt fast and i never did a full 26miles despite runnjng with that aim for 5 yrs… the last year i ran a half marathon every 3 months
That is quite good
Also took a short play i wrote to Edinburgh festival for 8 nights
A mental health charity took my play on tour and also published my book of poems
100 copies in a box that i got rid of simply because its not an achievement
Ungrateful as hell
I regret it
After giving up i met my husband
Im happily married and on full disability payments
I have only had the basics of voluntarily work 2x a week or more recently help my mum out
We have been together almost 12 years
That is great for me and we will last i think till death do us part
These are basic achievements
And id expect 10x these for any lucky general every day achiever

2 Likes

I am trying to give my experiences but that is not the kind of advice people want

achievements are so relative

its a bit bad that if you strive for beyond
you have a good chance of achieving

if you are expecting to do more than have a part time job for a few years or lift 100lbs these are possible
if you try you will know but if you try you can fail and feel hopeless

yes you can make achievements
less than you wanted to is likely

1 Like

I’m at the same physical fitness level as normies. I’m also better then most at video games.

4 Likes

Truth be told I am nowhere as successful as the average normal person . You’ve all achieved far more than me. I guess it didn’t help that I’m come from a generation when the diagnosis of schizophrenia(my first dx ) was the kiss of death in being expected to live normally. There was certainly none of the things available nowadays to try and improve occupational and social functioning.

It was medication and not much else, and expectations were set low as to your potential level of functioning in society.
By the time a more enlightened approach came into play I was very much deemed to be too chronically ill/ too old for it.

I’ve now very probably reached a plateau re how well I’m doing ie not acutely ill , but no grade A pass for functioning as well as the average, non mentally ill person.
It’s very much about continuing stabilisation rather than progression. Although when say I’ve reached a plateau I am doing better here with support than I was in Essex on my own without that support . I’m probably in the same band of functioning but a little nearer to the next band.

I think though this is about as good as it gets. It’s extremely unlikely I’ll ever be employed and socially I’m running quite a few metres behind the start line.

Having said all this I’m doing as well as I can with the level of help and support I’ve had from mental health services over the years, and could be in a worse situation.
I avoided the fate reckoned for me 35-36 years ago which was at best living in a group home and at worst long stay institutionalisation . Yes I need help to continue living independently, but for some even help is not enough to allow them to do that.

I at least contribute here and other forums which is more than many people can do. I have a footprint online even if it is a very small one, and not always showing me at my best.

2 Likes

How old are you dude? I Wana say 28

I consider myself to be quite successful for a person with a psychotic MI, but not by the standards of normal people.

Well, I have a few good friends, have had girlfriends, been married (briefly), have a graduate degree, but career-wise I’m a failure by normal standards. I seem unable to do complicated full-time jobs, or really any full-time job. Perhaps I base my perception of my level of success too much on occupational/financial success (or rather the lack thereof). I’m my own worst critic, though.

1 Like

Not overall but I am able to compete with normal folk on many levels. With meds I lead a good life. I’m on a pension but it’s more about sedation and sleeping too much to work. I volunteer in a very rewarding way for a cricket club and know a lot about turf pitches. With meds I’ve lived as a married man and a step father and did quiet successfully.

Yes. With appropriate meds and support you can compete with normal folk. You might not be a rocket scientist…but you can survive and live a rich and realized life. It just may be a little different from most…but there’s other reasons for other people!

3 Likes

Hi, are you by any chance friends with someone named Jackie on Instagram? I saw a guy on her friend list who looked like you. Just curious, not trying to stalk…

Ppl seem to be bragging here, and it’s kind of embarrassing to read :sweat_smile::grimacing:

Nope don’t know a jackie

Is that an invitation to talk about my nuts?

They’re YUUUUUUGE.

:grin:

1 Like