Not happy about my power bill

I know our temps were extremely low, 3 degrees in the am and right at freezing for the high. And I know I like it warm in my apartment, but for a teeny-tiny apartment I’m surprised at how high for just me. $230.

Wow. Do you seal your windows in the winter?

2 Likes

no, how would I go about doing that?

We use window shrink film kits. You apply the film to a window that isn’t going to be opened over the winter and then use a hair dryer to shrink the film in place. I’ve done this to both basement windows, all three bedroom windows, and our kitchen window. We have a downstairs door we don’t use in the winter so I stuffed additional foam around the frame before closing it so there’s no air leakage at all. We find this saves about 15-20% on heat and power:

1 Like

I mean, the windows are already sealed, except the one in the kitchen, but it’s like 12 inches wide and 20 inches tall, it’s tiny

the seal was broken when I moved in, but they are unable to locate anyone qualified to repair the seals on any of the broken ones throughout the complex. I’m just glad it’s a tiny window

Window seals aren’t perfect so that’s where the shrink wrap seal comes in. You’ve seen my posts of our temps here - its critical to stop any form of heat leakage.

2 Likes

I’m wondering of the rules about modifying the windows though. Can you tell in anyway that the film is on there?

They don’t harm the windows or leave residue. They’re not a modification, think of them as a see through curtain. Very difficult to see from the outside.

1 Like

My electric bill this summer was like $700 bucks so I switched to some kind of steady payments. So I have to pay like $330 every month now.

I think it’s called even billing. I can’t remember. If s usually a lot less than that in the winter though but at least now I won’t get bills that break the bank.

4 Likes

I cut down on my space heater use by buying an electric throw. I won’t know how much I saved until my next bill. My power bill last month was $129, largely because I had a lot of time off from work and I sat in the living room doing my homework with the heat on. I expect this month will be around a $100.

3 Likes

My apartment complex includes heat, but plugging my car in (a battery blanket, oil pan heater, and engine block heater) when it’s -10 F or colder makes my electric bill much higher in winter.

3 Likes

My gas and electric is currently about £135 a month. But im on the old tarrif here in the uk, so havent felt the price hikes yet.

I will be knackered come may next year tho. Brothers currently paying £20 a day for electric.

3 Likes

Block heaters are its own food group during the winters here in Minnesota.

1 Like

That’s insane!

1 Like

Yeah dont know if you are aware, but uk energy prices have gone thru the roof.

3 Likes

That sucks.

I was shocked at how.much my last power bill was (~$350). It doesnt even get that cold here (its currently 41°F at midnight). I have the thermostat set to 68°F. I moved this past year and my new house is larger than my old house. Also, energy rates have gone up. But still…I was surprised how high my bill was. I guess I need to set the thermostat lower and bundle up.

1 Like

I am paying $90 sgd which equals $70 usd for my power and water bills, not using aircon or heater

I have a company for the power and a different one for the gas. Power is expensive in the summer with the ac and gas is next to nothing. But in the winter the power bill is usually modest and the gas is high because of the heat.

I haven’t read the gas bill yet. Until a couple days ago we hadn’t really used the heat. Usually the gas bill is like 20 bucks but it’s a lot more when you run the heater.

2 Likes