Schizophrenia.com

No support for peer support?

Apr 25 2014
Liz Hughes
Posted by
Liz Hughes
shutterstock_120437503

In this blog, I’m going to be discussing a recent systematic review and meta-analysis of “peer support for people with serious mental illness” (Lloyd-Evans et al, 2014). It’s something of a personal (as well as an academic) interest, as I am a carer and have been involved in mutual peer support groups myself. I have given and received support from people in similar circumstances to me and I have experienced the benefits of being able to describe a difficulty or problem with people who are going through the same things as me, which is very powerful and indeed empowering.

There has been a grassroots movement of peer support as an integral part of the recovery movement. A natural evolution of mutual peer support is the concept of paid peer support, where supporters are employed by the mental health service or a peer led service is provided to complement mainstream care.

However, any new service development or intervention needs to demonstrate that it’s not just an intuitively good idea, but also that it is:

Acceptable: to the people it is aimed at
Feasible: that it is possible to implement, realistic and achievable
Generalisable: it can work with similar populations in different geographical areas or settings
Clinically effective: has a positive impact on service user outcomes
Cost-effective: there is a return on investment
Equity of access: it’s available to all those who could benefit from it
2 Likes

The peer support places do not meet the needs for SZ clients. A typical conversation

Walks in the door :door:

Busybody Bipolar person- “See that girl that just walked in. She’s a schizo”
Her friends- “Does she like talk to herself”
Busybody Biplolar Person- Oh probably, laughs :laughing:
Busybody Bipolar Person- “I cringe every time I see her mismatched socks”.
Her friends- “oh, I know. Have seen her mismatched socks before” laughs :laughing:

Me- Runs out the door feeling like :cry:

0 Likes

I’m sorry to hear that BakedBeans.Those girls are idiots.

1 Like