Schizophrenia.com

No hallucinations

I’ve been diagnosed with schizoaffective disorder, but I have no hallucinations. What does this mean?

Do you get delusional

Schizoaffective can be loosely described as a mix between schizophrenia and bipolar disorder. So if you have a few symptoms of both you can get that diagnosis.

1 Like

I got a little delusional. But I was taking herbal medication, that altered my cognition. At first it was good, then I started getting delusional and shortsighted. I was taking a lot of it.

I haven’t had any delusions since I started medication. I also stopped taking the herbal supplement. I recently had a psychological exam done, and they said it was odd that I don’t have delusions or hallucinations and have this diagnosis. I’m waiting for my results of the psychological exam.

Many of us have our delusions or hallucinations depressed by the medication. But the issue is that when we come off the medication, there is usually a relapse of the symptoms, typically within a year.

1 Like

I was acting angry. Like, I was confused about people violating my rights, and it didn’t make me feel angry, but I thought I should act angry. I thought I should act angry even though I didn’t feel it. I think that’s where the bipolar part of the diagnosis came from.

I see. Even low doses of medication work? I’m on half the amount they started me on.

Yea it depends on the individual.

1 Like

Ok. My psychiatrist said she’d try a lower dose if I wanted. I’m just curious, could the medication be effective even at the lowest dose?

Yea it defo may be. Some people even use half the lowest ‘therapeutic dose’.

Though if you are on a low dose and not displaying symptoms after a long while still, they may change your diagnosis too.

Such as to psychosis NOS.

1 Like

Good luck with it, wish you a good recovery, take care,

1 Like

Low doses can be effective. I am on a low dose of lurasidone and it works great.

1 Like

Thanks for your help. Have a nice day.

1 Like

Yeah?! I’m glad to hear that. I hope I can regain some more of my “normal” traits.

1 Like

You’re very welcome! :))

1 Like