New ways to look at people, if at all possible

People look and judge at our outward appearance.

We know that this is not the case for most of the time. We especially need empathy when we got sick, or suffering from an illness that has many misconceptions.

But what can be done?

1 Like

The original message is poorly worded but I do not know how to modify the sentence.

I was saying: “We know that [their opinion in regard to our outward appearance] is not the case for most of…” and “…need empathy when we got sick, or [when we are] suffering from an illness…”

hmmm… let me see if I can help you out.

The first things people see come are on the outside. Some people make their judgments about that and stop there. As mentally ill we need people who can see beyond that and empathize with our pain.

Most of the people who can truly do that are also mentally ill. Though there are exceptions. Look for these people, associate with them instead. It will make you feel less alone.

1 Like

You really understand my original message.

Thanks. I didn’t know about it. Is this a well known fact?

1 Like

Well when it comes to people who can relate to mental illness the only ones who have insight are either very experienced professionals or care-takers… or the sufferers themselves.

I don’t know it it’s a fact but it makes a ton of sense to me.

There are different forms of empathy.

Like there is cognitive empathy when you can understand that a person is experiencing an emotion, even if it doesn’t affect you emotionally.

There is emotional empathy where other people’s emotions will influence how you yourself feel, like if someone is obviously hurting, then you feel bad for them.

And then there is this very deep empathy that can only be shared by people who have had similar experiences and truly know from experience what something is like.

Like I have never had or lost a child, so I cannot truly know what it is like to lose a child. I can feel bad for someone who has lost a child but I have no â– â– â– â– â– â– â–  idea what they are going through, not really. Someone else who has lost a child would be able to offer them that deeper empathy that I could not.

So it would make total sense to me if mentally ill people (at least when not in the throes of our own heightened pain or agitation) can often offer that deeper empathy to each other that neurotypicals can’t offer to us (through no fault of their own).

So if people judge you for your appearance they’re incredibly shallow people that I would want nothing to do with.