New to this whole thing not diagnosed but I’m the early stages

I first hallucinated as a child. I was hospitalized for the first time at 17. I was hospitalized for six months when I was 19. I didn’t have many symptoms in my 20s. I was not in therapy or on medication.

I started therapy again when I was 30. I was hallucinating, but I didn’t tell anyone because I didn’t know they weren’t real. When I was 32, my counselor saw and heard me responding to hallucinations. I was diagnosed with schizophrenia, and then at 33 after the third hospitalization in three years I was diagnosed as schizoaffective disorder, bipolar type.

I hope that makes sense.

Did you feel supported in therapy? I know it doesn’t make the voices go away. But it can help you learn to do life with them.

do you think that’s accurate, or that you brought it on yourself?

Is what accurate?

your diagnosis, why so long to determine, especially at an early admit.

Oh ok. I understand. I’ve been hospitalized eight times. I’ve been in counseling for almost four years. I’ve seen a psychiatrist for 1.5 years. I trust the doctors.

I hope that all goes well, I would have thought earlier

but I guess not.

Be well, and much success.

1 Like

Lack of insight leads to late realization and diagnosis in mental health cases. That may have been the case with LouiseG. I can look back now and see that I didn’t keep getting burned while I was cooking because I was stupid. The part of my brain that says “don’t touch it, it’s hot,” was just working very slowly. That’s my guess anyway.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.