New research targeting the opioid receptors in the brain

Yes, it’s at two side story @agent101g , opiates are the reason for a lot of misery and death, but also a lot of relief. Before we had AP and AD’s opium was the only drug we had to treat mental illness.

I know @Jonnybegood . At the moment the pharma industry investigates a combination of naltrexone (an opioid antagonist) and buphrephornine (an synthetic opioid) to treat depression. They hope that this combination is not as addictive as synthetic opioid alone.

And no @Cragger you can’t use naltrexone for pain relief. It blocks the opioid receptors, so you don’t have that much a craving for opiates and alcohol. Besides that it is used if drug addicts get an overdose.

Hope you are not in too much pain at the moment?

2 Likes

have you heard about ketamine for pain relief?? I’ve heard it can be used post acute pain from surgery. Like they invented a device that administers it slowly like an insulin device over the course of a few days. And it’ll be on the market in a few years for pain relief post surgery. But maybe they could investigate the properties of ketamine and make a pill or something that helps for pain

1 Like

My Pdoc considered putting me on spravato (ketamine) for depression, it’s a nasal spray that a nurse has to administer once every second week where you have to be in hospital for an hour to be sure you don’t have any acute side effects.

Therefore it’s very expensive, but it might be that she is considering it once again at the moment.

I will say yes to anything except a high dose of psychedelics.

2 Likes

Spravato isn’t too strong. But I’ve heard it’s very therapeutic. I knew someone who took it. Some places will take Medicaid now for Spravato. Will become increasingly more as it becomes more common I’m sure.

1 Like

Gotcha. The reason I ask is that I have Dilaudid for occasional flare ups, but I’m paranoid of become dependent.

I never take it more than 2 days in a row, and stick to a limited dose. Just takes the edge off.

Pain is much better today :+1:

1 Like

Yeah I don’t mean to sound crabby it’s just my mom was on the same dose for over 20 years. Doctors diagnosed her condition, prescribed her a medicine, then 20 years later she’s told she needs to cut her dose in half because junkies like to boil that medicine and inject it. Now she’s in horrible pain and we’re being driven out of California because of it. Her Virginia doctor has promised to restore her to her full dose.

Basically her bladder doesn’t produce the protective lining that a normal person’s does. Urine is very acidic before it is neutralized during urination, so she bleeds a lot in her bladder.

2 Likes

Sounds horribly, drug addicts in combination with the pharma industry have made it difficult for a lot of us who could benefit from a low dose of opioids.

Ten years ago I had severe bladder pains, and ended up with an urinary catheter for half a year. My gp gave me a low dose of Ultram to help me by, it was such a relief.

I might have ended up suicidal without pain killers.

I Hope your mother gets the right treatment as soon as possible.

2 Likes