New med, new progress

About 8 days ago, my pdoc started me on Mellaril. I started at 200mg, and after 5 days, went up to 400mg. In three days I begin Depakote and titrate up on that with the goal of reaching 1500 mg. So far I’m doing well on the Mellaril. Finally something I can stick with.

It’s crushed my positive symptoms and has helped me think a little clearer. Only side effect I’m experiencing is a dry mouth which seems to get better every day.

Looking forward to maintaining my stability. Mellaril is a last-ditch med that is tried when everything else has failed. Lucky for me, it works beautifully.

5 Likes

I have Nozinan as PRN and that gives dry mouth as well.

Not taking it at the moment

The older AP’s certainly are a bit of a sledge hammer for positive symptoms!

1 Like

Ya, I found the new meds are just too weak. Sometimes you have to break out the sledgehammer and go to work.

From wikipedia:

Thioridazine is a first generation antipsychotic drug belonging to the phenothiazine drug group and was previously widely used in the treatment of schizophrenia and psychosis. The branded product was withdrawn worldwide in 2005 because it caused severe cardiac arrhythmias.

1 Like

Interesting, first time I heard of someone on that med.

I have had some success with Amisulpride.

The dose is too high though

Tried to reduce it, but I felt rotten and went back up to 800mg.

Does the trick.

I like Haldol, but the side effects were hard to cope with

Generic Thioridazine is still available generically. There are plenty of studies that show the prolonging of the QT interval is overblown. A simple EKG is the only test you really have to administer.

2 Likes

I’m glad you’re feeling so good.

1 Like