New Genealogy thread

My family’s Native American ancestry comes from a guy in the family named John Spencer who married a Native American woman. That’s the family narrative anyway. I think it was in the 1700s

6 Likes

@anon4362788 i figured cos your thread got derailed I’d open this one for you. It’s not getting a lot of traffic though

2 Likes

Thanks @loke.

I did some more research and traced some of my bio father’s family back to Switzerland.

Family narratives are often wrong. My family has always said my grandfather was half native. I didn’t fibd that. Instead I found Scottish nobility. Which is really cool, but not native.

I haven’t tracked everything so there could still be some. I probably need to do the DNA to find out for sure.

5 Likes

The coolest thing is finding out I share family with @firemonkey !

3 Likes

My sister does Ancestry.com and has found out a lot about my father’s side of the family. All I know is we are Cajun French.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Thanks for the information firemonkey.

1 Like

I come from Vikings.

2 Likes

A chart showing how likely a cousin match is to be a genuine one.

IBD= how likely to be a genuine match.

1 Like

For those who have raw DNA data.

https://www.gedmatch.com/select.php

I don’t know how to use the chart.

1 Like

I wasn’t intending to reply directly to you. It was meant as a general post for those who’ve had their DNA tested. The 1st column is the size of the longest segment.

This explains columns 2 &3 =

You can change the cM threshold, but for people who are not known to be family, 5cM is a reasonable threshold to differentiate between identical by state, IBS which means happenstance or a common root population, and identical by descent, IBD, because you share a common ancestor in a genealogical timeframe.

Haha that definitely didn’t happen in my dad’s side of the family. I’ve dated Arabs. Then there was my daughter dad who is Ecuadorian. My dad’s cousin married an African American. One of my distant cousins is married to a Mexican. I’ve got one cousin who only dates African Americans. And somewhere in our mix are supposedly Native Americans.

1 Like

My aunt’s husband’s last name is French. I don’t know if Cajun French is the same.

2 Likes

Cajun French is a distinct dialect of the French language.

2 Likes

Oh ok. So the French and Cajun French are the same ethnically. They just speak separate dialects.

1 Like

True. A Cajun person will generally understand someone from Paris France, though it’s a little different.

It’s like British and American English.

2 Likes

Okey doke!!!

1 Like

You may be Métis- I know that they don’t have official recognition in the US, but they are recognized as Aboriginal in Canada.

I have great respect for the Métis people. They endured so much to keep their tradition.

2 Likes