Neighbour Across the street

Bake some bread or cookies or something and next time you see him out side walk up to him and be friendly and give it to him and smile and say, “Have a nice day, see you around”.

2 Likes

You never know, he could be a nice guy.

2 Likes

I used to ride my bike around town after dinner (when I was in high school) just as the sun was setting and lights were turning on inside the houses, but before they closed their curtains.

I would ride slowly down the street catching a glance of the occupants inside, doing the things they regularly do, unaware they had a spectator outside.

It fascinated me, how they interacted with each other, and how their ‘normal’ could be so differentvto my ‘normal.’

Sometimes I’d get so caught up in watching them that I’d drift off into my own sad world were I allowed myself the luxury of inserting myself into their houses as one of them.

A few times I was rudely awakened by the curtains slamming shut in my face, and then the embarrassment of peeping into their house would make my face turn bright red and I’d ride away as fast as I possibly could.

The saddness would cover me like a wet wool blanket, especially once I got back home and compared the differences between my house and theirs.

Never before would I feel so out of place, so empty of what others would take for granted-and never know how lucky they were compared to me.
I felt like I must have been from another planet, and by now I’d never belong here.

I’ve never been violent or aggressive, quite unlike what others have done to me, especially from others who wore the ‘normal’ label- but were anything but that- at least not with me- especially when alone in the same room.

2 Likes

Well written @Csummers. It makes me sad. I can imagine the pain you had.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.