Neighbour Across the street

Hi I have this neighbor that looks around my age (28)who just stays inside his house all day dosent have a job or go to school. looking and staring at my family throw the windows quite frequently during the day and night. he never leaves his house except for short walks and he sometimes stands in his driveway and dosent say anything even though we say hi to him first many times. my mom says the light in their living room is on all the time and she has seen him running back and forth and rocking back and forth staring thorugh the window. I have also noticed him looking uo at the say a lot. I don’t want to make a big deal out of all of this but could he be dangerous ? I think he is afraid of people and to go outside and feels safe in his house . I think he is a paranoid schizophrenic that dosent take his medication and hes a big dude too like around 6"4"" - 6"5’

Why would he be dangerous? Do you have schizophrenia?

4 Likes

This post comes off really offensive.

4 Likes

It’s very hard to know for sure. Do you know if he lives there with someone else?

If he is there alone and you are very worried you can always call the nonemergency police line for your town and ask for an anonymous wellness check.

The police will go to his house and see that he is alright. Please please understand that this can be very very scary for someone, especially if he is struggling with unmedicated SZ. I would only do this if you are seriously concerned for your safety or the safety of others. As I’m sure you know SZ people are FAR less likely to hurt someone else than they are to hurt themselves, which is still a valid reason to call.

We don’t have much information and it’s a tricky situation. I would certainly keep my distance especially if you’re not sure how you will react to an interaction with him. Carefully consider a wellness check.

1 Like

I don’t think it’s meant to intentionally be offensive and I might take that feeling with a grain of salt. It’s common to fear the unknown and if the original poster doesn’t know much about SZ, then I can at least understand the logic behind it. The comment about unmedicated SZ seems to be just speculation… I could be wrong about all of this though.

To reiterate, @DN_89 are you diagnosed with SZ? If not, you may get more helpful answers from the family section of this forum.

1 Like

@DN_89. Between this thread and the other thread you posted earlier, it seems like you have a lot of anxiety about schizophrenia. It seems like something you should really get a handle on. You’re already stygmatizing your neighbor because you suspect he might have sz. What happens when you start self-stigmatizing because you have schizoaffective?

Definitely discuss your anxieties about sz/sza and about your future with a therapist. I think this could really benefit you. Living in fear is very stressful and ultimately counterproductive.

8 Likes

I strongly second this.

2 Likes

Sounds like you are spying on this poor dude.

2 Likes

Maybe not intentionally but I would also strongly consider doing other things so you don’t become preoccupied with his behavior. It’s probably causing lots of anxiety for both of you.

4 Likes

I doubt hes dangerous. It sounds like he hasn’t made any aggressive gestures. I have a neighbor who is similar and he’s just a very quiet person never had a problem with him.

3 Likes

I’m glad y’all erased my posts. He’s gonna keep spying because he’s like my upstairs neighbor. That in told I’m hearing shot even when others hear what I hear.

yes there is a family history of schizophrenia and I am diaganosed with bipolar schizoffective disoder

I am not spying on my neighbor. just recently me and my family have noticed his strange behavior lately when we put our dogs out and take them for a walk . he is always the first one to stare and look out not us.

He lives with his brother and father. his dad works as a business person and is away a lot. I don’t want to sound offensive or anything.

1 Like

We have nice neighbors living on both sides of my house.
But the other night I noticed a couple of my neighbors looking out their window staring at my mother and me for like half an hour on and off.
It’s human nature to be nosy.
I just shut the shades.

3 Likes

Maybe the only human “contact” he has with people is his brother and father and you guys on a regular basis. Human behaviour in anyone can be irrational. I could make an argument that since he hasn’t done anything threatening so far, than maybe he is harmless. But I could also make the argument that he might be unpredictable and dangerous. Take your pick. Human behaviour can get pretty irrational even in the “sanest” people.

My only suggestion might be a bad one. Yeah, it’s probably a bad idea but maybe tactfully and respectfully talk to his brother and father and see if they say there is anything to worry about. You don’t have to be aggressive, insulting or mean.

They live with him and my guess is that they are fully aware of odd behaviour from him. So it’s not like you are ratting on the guy by talking to his brother or father. Hell, if you go talk to them bring a box of cookies to show good will towards them.

The poor guy has to be lonely and depressed. Poor guy. He’s probably like a lot of us here and just wants do his thing and be left alone.

3 Likes

good post that’s very true. I shouldn’t sound so offensive about it

1 Like

Maybe he’s autistic?

I don’t know but I think its a possibility. I think all he wants is a friend other than his father and brother and it is wrong for me to judge and be offensive.

2 Likes

If he’s roughly your age, maybe you could try striking up a conversation with him?

3 Likes