Schizophrenia.com

Negative symptom-inability to experience pleasure (kinda embarrassing question)

Does this include sexual pleasure? And could this confuse a person into thinking that they’re asexual when they’re not?

1 Like

Interesting question.

The negative symptom of anhedonia mostly refers to not being able to anticipate pleasure. When schizophrenics are studied they generally report feeling as much pleasure in the moment as regular people. I guess it could still affect your willingness to have sex though. But depression often comes with schizophrenia and depressed anhedonia also affects the pleasure you feel in the moment. In my experience that also affects sexual pleasure. That being said, the stress schizophrenia brings with it along with the medications we take for it can definitely kill your sex drive.

I see many factors here and I don’t think it’s impossible that a sz patient can be confused and think they are asexual when they aren’t.

2 Likes

When I was in a deep negative swing… I was non-sexual…

I didn’t enjoy the human interaction… I had no reaction to interaction.

IF I might have engaged in any sex it might have gone ok…

But the want… need… will… was dried up. I was pretty sure that part of my life was done.

When I got different meds… and therapy… that part of my life began to wake up.

2 Likes

I was living with a girl, at the time of my last major episode, my feelings for here cooled when the psycosis went off, and i lost my sexdrive.i thought i was falling out of love with here. She tried to get me interessed in sex and such, but the last year of our relationship we did not have sex, and not too much cuddels either. She ended the relationship, then i got a broken heart. My pdoc said this was pretty common, loss of interess after a psycosis. But i realized i still loved here after it was too late…

I think the difference between lack of pleasure and being asexual is that asexuals don’t want to enjoy sex. So if you wish you could be more into sex, you’re not necessarily asexual. I thought I was asexual for a time, but really I was just so traumatized by sex that the idea of it became totally repulsive. I still wanted to be that close to someone, though, and I still found people attractive. With therapy and the right meds, I was able to work through my mental barrier.

I had a strange experience. My meds deadened my ability to feel pleasure but it didn’t kill my sex instinct. I’m a very, very excitable person and I always have been. Maybe it’s just because I waited so long.

For me, before I was diagnosed with schizophrenia, I had several experiences, all making me question my life long held sexual orientation. I wasn’t in a psychotic break at any of the times, but could the lack of pleasure really affect me at all times, or am I most likely asexual?

Which sexuality label makes you feel most comfortable? Do you enjoy thinking of yourself as asexual, or would you prefer to be hetero, gay, or bi? You don’t necessarily need to label yourself at all, either, if you prefer. Some people just don’t choose to identify as anything, and just live how they want, being attracted or not as the feelings come up.

If you do want to experience sexual pleasure again, there is an anti-anxiety drug called Buspar that can increase your sexual drive. I was on it for a few weeks when I was having a hard time.

1 Like

Well I’m comfortable being homoromantic asexual. But I know sex is important in relationships, for the most part, and my past boyfriend, well, I couldn’t deliver, and I felt I wasn’t a suitable boyfriend if I couldn’t please him in the ways he wanted.

So all-in-all I do kinda wish I enjoyed sex, just for my partners sake and for the relationship.

You could date someone else that was asexual.

2 Likes

@onceapoet is right - I was in the same situation you were, it was like I kept running smack into the same wall in every relationship. I could sustain brief periods of sexual interest, and some were even intense, but they cooled off fast and I returned to my asexual norm. It was hard on my partners and hard on me.

There are plenty of romantic asexuals out there, but I admit they’re hard to find. People don’t talk about this kind of stuff enough for us to easily identify each other.

In my case, it’s not meds doing it. It may be depression, I don’t know. But I’m comfortable with myself existing on the asexual end of the spectrum.

@Rhubot and @FranzKafka there’s always the internet. I’m sure there’s at least one asexual dating site out there. It will probably be hard because of our condition to meet someone over the internet and I’m always wary of it (I’m a big ball of crazy and I just want you to keep in mind you might meet someone like me) but because of how rare asexuals are it might be worth looking into for you.

Thanks, appreciated. I lucked out and my last girlfriend was similarly wired. It’s complicated from the outside - we’re together and it’s a committed, long-term thing, but it’s not precisely romantic. Kind of a best friend marriage. It works for us.

1 Like

http://www.ace-book.net is a social networking site for asexuals. Even if you don’t find someone to date, it might be nice just meeting more people who don’t make sex one of the primary focuses in their life.

Edited because I misremembered the site.

It’s hard enough to find a boyfriend being homoromantic, let alone a homoromantic asexual like me. I’d have to search all over the state.

And I’ve tried asexual dating sites, it’s not a very good experience. And there’s not many out there compared to other dating services.