Need your advice!

Hello, I made a early appointment with my physiatrist so i could get some type of energy boosting medication. Here’s what happening right now. I can only stay awake for 7-9 hours and then i sleep for like 11-14 hours.

I need a stimulant that won’t get my high because i believe it was cause me to hear more voices.

Please name some strong stimulants that don’t have a high with it?

2 Likes

Provigil or nuvigil May help you out!

1 Like

@Moonwalker and @Anna are on Modafinil. It’s for narcolepsy but pilots in the military take it to stay awake.

1 Like

Modafinal is provigil. And nuvigil is a shorter or longer lasting version

2 Likes

oh okay thanks.

1 Like

Modafinal doesn’t get you high right?

1 Like

I don’t think it does. I’ve never taken it so I wouldn’t know.

@InnerCircle knows all about stimulants.

It’s a non narcotic stimulant. No it doesn’t get you high but stimulated a little. If you took it in the morning it will make you more awake and alert throughout the day but not high. It sometimes is costly even with insurance though.

1 Like

If you want to get put on modafinal, I believe you need a sleep study done first. @Anna is on it for narcolepsy. Your doctor might try adjusting your current medications before adding a stimulant, since they’re usually contraindicated for schizophrenia.

1 Like

I am on modafinil but it was extremely difficult to get on, I had to be diagnosed with narcolepsy first. But it’s a wonderful stimulant that does not make you feel jittery or high or anything it just keeps you from getting sleepy. It changed my life.

If you’re in the US again unless you’re diagnosed with a sleep disorder you may not be able to get modafinil. However vyvanse seems to be a popular new stimulant that is being used for people with mental illness, I’m not sure how safe it is for psychosis but it is a more tame stimulant too I believe.

1 Like

Wow interestingly enough my pdoc gave me a free sample of modafinal to try out. It didn’t give me great effects so I didn’t continue with it. Wasn’t aware if this.

1 Like

we still know about energy drinks and pills, if they’re okay to take, or not.

But Phil keeps taking them. He gets up at 3:30 a.m. though, or earlier.

I just drink coffee. But even general fatigue is a problem.

1 Like

Yeah, they’ve been saying no to me on this for over two decades. Good luck.

1 Like

I’ve been on modafinil for years. It will keep you awake but not jittery or sped up. I’ve recommended it here before. Without it I would be in bed all day. There’s a chance of going psychotic on it when you first take it. If your ok after a week or two then you should be fine

1 Like

All stimulants, including caffeine, have addictive properties but doses used for ADHD are low and overseen by a professional shouldn’t be a problem.

Venvanse is probably the most “mild.” You only take it once per day. Venvanse is specifically made to be difficult to abuse. Also, Alertec may be more “mild” for you. It is generally also taken only once per day.

There ARE other options.

1. Strattera (atomoxetine) is a pure norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor which is indicated for ADHD. It is COMPLETELY non-addictive, unlike the amphetamines.

2. Cymbalta (duloxetine) - could be effective. It is an “SNRI” dual norepinephrine/serotonin reuptake inhibitor.

3. Wellbutrin (bupropion) - in part acts on dopamine AND norepinephrine reuptake, so in theory it may help, although in practice it is rarely used for this purpose.

Unless you have a medical condition or a history of addiction, stimulants really do work best. I am not aware of anything better. The best science information says medication options are effective and safe when prescribed and overseen by a doctor. In practice, addiction to Rx is rarely an issue for the average patient.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.