Need help with first career decisions

i am deciding between taking courses to get an associates degree in pc maintenance technology, or going to a trade school and training than doing an apprenticeship until i have enough experience to become a journeyman. only thing about the trade jobs is they are alot more physically demanding than working on computers and idk if i am in the best shape also i have TD affecting my eyes so that may make things hard

1 Like

yeah I thought about doing a trade. but your right, more physically demanding and I didn’t want to get up on ladders or work at heights. some trades I considered was, electrician and wastewater treatment operator. welding can pay well, but I would think it would get boring. also with trades you often have downtime where is there is no work. that’s when its good to be in a union so you receive unemployment while you’re not working. I also hear machinist pays well.

pc maintenance sounds like a good career, but im not a tech guy. I think it doesn’t pay as much as it used to.

1 Like

Do what pays the bills I guess and what you can do.

1 Like

Computer work can be hard on the body in different ways. Sitting in a chair for extended periods of time is bad on the back, and excessive typing can aggravate carpel tunnel syndrome. I developed bad wrist problems after taking up a desk job.

2 Likes

Pick the trade and IT as a hobby you can turn to.
Whatever rocks your boat.

1 Like

Whatever you choose, don’t neglect your physical condition. Go outside every day. Run or swim or ride a bike. Even weight training if your health permits.

Anything PC-related is a good choice these days. And software is generally better than hardware.

1 Like

when i found out how much computer developers can make i was shocked its alot, seems really technically advanced tho with coding idk if i could do that

1 Like

Same here. Building systems seems hard and requires creative thinking. I suggest online courses or a community college course.

1 Like

My sister took cnc and lathe machining in high school, 10 years later she makes 30$ an hour full time

1 Like

There are career assessment exams that you can do online. When I took the exam I found out that I would be good at environmental engineering but the company I worked for would only pay for civil engineering so that’s what I took. It was good though I enjoyed it.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.