Schizophrenia.com

Natives' view of schizophrenia

I remember reading a book that talked about Shamanism amongst the native tribes of North America.

In their eyes, schizophrenics were Seers, and Healers. Perhaps it is modern society that has it all wrong.

Food for thought

3 Likes

The more I think of it, the more I believe they would have this view, since it takes such strength of character and insight to overcome an illness such as schizophrenia. Once they have healed themselves, they are of more value to the tribe for helping others to heal themselves

2 Likes

The native american szs lived in wholesome communities. Their voices were respective and influenced by that. The paranoia and negative modern societies are illustrated in negative voices and delusions that also reflect this.

If we lived in cooperatives of no more than a few hundred people, where people actually care about each other then you would find that the schizophrenics would also be considerably happier and accepted.

3 Likes

@labratmat well said and very true

3 Likes

It would be quite a radically different situation, when the whole village saw helping the schizophrenic as being an investment in their own future.

1 Like

There would also be less of them due to less trauma induced schizophrenia.

as part of a wholesome community.

1 Like

Survival required the entire tribe being healthy, yes

1 Like

Religion, sorry.

1 Like