Name some MI stereotypes

There are lots of different stereotypes associated with the mentally ill.
Can you name some?

One big one that comes to mind is that we are all unpredictable and dangerous people.

4 Likes

People seem to think a mentally ill person will look in a specific way when theres no mental illness look.

2 Likes

I have to admit, when I see a woman with black eyeliner under her eyes, or a dude with those tshirts of two wolves howling at the moon, my first thought is they have some sort of mental problem :sweat_smile:

But that’s just my weird biases.

2 Likes

That was the first thing I thought of, unpredictable and dangerous. I hate that because it’s dehumanizing and ignorant.
I would also say a stereotype of MI is that people who have MI don’t know what’s going on with themselves. Even some “mental health professionals” think this.

5 Likes

Totally agree a ‘‘Doctor’’ said i was still psychotic because i couldn’t look her in the eyes and was shy.

4 Likes

How about all the mental health campaigners just citing Depression and Anxiety when talking about all mental health

They try and make out how cool they are, but won’t tackle all the issues people have

6 Likes

I dress and look pretty basic just with long hair so it isn’t always like that lol.

2 Likes

I totally agree, @Joker . It gets any more “crazy” than anxiety and depression and people can’t handle talking about it.

5 Likes

that people who have depression will never smile or laugh (completely untrue)

that people with schizophrenia are psychopathic or serial killers in the making (completely untrue)

that the only people with bipolar are sassy short tempered women (again completely untrue)

that all people with autism are either intellectually disabled or geniuses and you can tell they have it by looks. (its a wide spectrum, once again completely untrue)

there are many more but it seems like in general there are far too many stereotypes that are held with MI

7 Likes

Seems weird to me as these ‘campaigners’ as they call themselves are normalising and even to a degree popularising what illnesses are ok, and ignoring the ones that go to far like you say

We’re roughly 1 in 100, and that might be less than some other illnesses, but that’s still a damn shitload of people still with this disease

3 Likes

Messy hair, band t shirt

1 Like

So true! I don’t want to take any experience or personal truth from anyone, but I do question the current trend towards EVERYONE having depression and/or anxiety. People feel like a part of things, I guess. But, go any further and heck no, they don’t have THAT, they can’t relate to THAT!
I really want to talk about my experiences especially since I work at a high school and some people might benefit, but I can’t because it’s too much.

2 Likes

That we don’t need meds or have an illness…it’s just all emotions or bad thinking or something stupid.

3 Likes

Depression is way way way more common then people generally talk about.

Odds are you know someone whom has it.

2 Likes

Another big stereotype is that we’re all strung out on drugs or are alcoholics.
This was a stereotype I faced with lots of the ER doctors.

Although I do recognize that substance abuse is a real concern with many mentally ill people, not every mi person is going to have a drug or alcohol problem.

1 Like

I love when people with anxiety or depression say how important it is to talk aout mental illness. Then you bring up your psychosis and they go “you need to get help” :sweat_smile:

The stigma lives on

4 Likes

I absolutely find this sad. They think it is ‘just’ a matter of strengthening our mind.

It’s not hard!

I mean not everyone thinks that but my ex and some ppl I’ve come across do

3 Likes

Yea ofcourse lol it happens. I think it’s just ignorance…
It’s like I’m hearing voices and have zero energy

“Well no problem just get up and get going, and ignore the voices :slightly_smiling_face:… your just being lazy and thinking too much”.

Loool
Oh wow I never thought to just ignore them how insightful :smile::smile::smile:

3 Likes

Or I physically can’t run well any more ever since going on ap. My Gp response? Slothy, you need to try harder. Lol. :grimacing:

3 Likes

Loool leans into torturous pain even more

“Thanks :smiling_face_with_tear::smiling_face_with_tear::smiling_face_with_tear:” *twitch twitch *

2 Likes