Naltrexone for shopping and sex addictions

I read online that its a miracle drug for all types of addiction. I wonder if it can treat my Abilify induced shopping and sex addictions. I would try Abilify again if it does. I noted this question for my Dr.

2 Likes

Its a prescription medication.

Wow, there seems to be a drug for everything.

1 Like

I think a user here is on it. Johnnybegood? He makes music.

1 Like

The abilify addiction problems is a side- effect because it increases dopamine in certain parts of the brain

Naltrexone works on opioid- receptors.

So I’m sorry to tell you this but it doesn’t work on abilify induced addictions.

2 Likes

I might be wrong though!!

2 Likes

Talk to your doc!

2 Likes

Man that sucks if true. I read in the article above that Naltrexone can treat sex and gambling addictions but they don’t talk about Abilify. Honestly I know nothing about how Naltrexone works or how Abilify induces addictions. Its different from standard behavioral addictions? I did ask my pdoc if a mania medication would work but he said no and the only way to get rid of the addictions is to stop the Abilify.

Honestly I think my last pdoc was a racist and a piece of ■■■■, I never felt like he tried hard to help me and he rejected my suggestions or ignored me. He’s like a robot.

1 Like

I had horrible akathisia on Latuda for a whole year and I always complained about it. He only prescribed me an akathisia med at the end of the year and shortly after, I stopped the Latuda.

1 Like

I hope your docs put you on vraylar soon.

I think some docs just stop caring because they are overworked and routinely just do things making them disregard patients worries and wishes.

1 Like

Naltrexone is opioid antagonist. Abilify is dopamine agonist. As @Speedy mentioned their effects don’t seem as interconnected.

It seems to be more complicated than that as I read it blocks the addiction centers of the brain for substance and behavioral addictions. Its also used for alcohol addiction and alcohol doesn’t work on opioid receptors. Behavioral addictions also don’t work on opioid receptors.

I am going to ask my Dr.

Naltrexone works for amphetamines! Amphetamines work on dopamine like Abilify.

In addition to opioids, naltrexone has been found to block or reduce the rewarding and other effects of other euphoriant drugs including alcohol, nicotine, and amphetamines.

i have some shopping addictions, not so much (or at all) sex tho. naltrexoneis the same type of med as the second half of lybalvi which is olanzapine +samidorphan which is supposed to cause less weight gain than olanzapine alone. and studies show naltrexone also redudes olanzapine weight and metabolic effects. i explained this to my pdoc but they said its for people with substance abuse issues so they wouldnt prescribe it. kinda sucks as i feel like it might be helpful in multiple areas

1 Like

@cigarino

1 Like

Sense of well-being and mellowness people experience after drinking is mediated by opioids. This is what kick of alcohol is. By blocking opioid receptors naltrexone blocks that kick effect one gets after drinking. That stops from drinking being fun.

1 Like

I changed my mind, no more Abilify or APs with AD properties. I think the natural AD I am taking 5htp is making me manic and hypersexual as it increases serotonin. This morning I was surfing sex workers website and had thoughts about unfreezing the money I have in the bank. I keep this money in a disability account for when I am 50y.o. as the governmment gives me good interest on it. My mind was telling me to blow it all as I only live once and need to have fun before dying. I think its my mania talking.

1 Like