NAC types = N-Acetyl cysteine ---VS--- N-Acetyl L-cysteine

hi,
anyone knows what’s the difference between N-Acetyl cysteine and N-Acetyl L-cysteine?
thank you

Different name but it’s the exact same thing

N-ACETYL CYSTEINE

OTHER NAME(S):

Acetyl Cysteine, Acétyl Cystéine, Acetylcysteine, Acétylcystéine, Chlorhydrate de Cystéine, Cysteine, Cystéine, Cysteine Hydrochloride, Cystine, Hydrochlorure de Cystéine, L-Cysteine, L-Cystéine, L-Cysteine HCl, L-Cystéine HCl, NAC, N-Acetil Cisteína, N-Acetyl-B-Cysteine, N-Acétyl Cystéine, N-Acetyl-L-Cysteine, N-Acétyl-L-Cystéine, N-Acetylcysteine, N-Acétylcystéine

1 Like

thank you,
any idea what is the best bio-available NAC/cysteine products?

someone in the forum wrote: NAC is not very bio available. You have to take huge amounts for it to pass through to the blood. Which is why there are Cysteine products out there which are methylated and make them 5 - 6 times more available.

They could have been talking rubbish. There’s a lot of wannabe pharmacists here. :joy:

lol, seriously though - there is no issue with bio availability?

Not as far as I’m aware …

1 Like

NAC vs. L-Cysteine?

NAC is the one I take. L-Cysteine is more for people trying to grow hair and nails, and I have no problems in those areas, lol.

1 Like

This is really confusing. I would expect that the info on different types of cysteine, and info about its bio availability would be published in the dedicated section in the website.

1 Like

In the US, pharmaNAC is medical grade. There’s another in Europe, I don’t recall.

I buy a cheaper brand though. NAC breaks down when exposed to air and it smells gnarly. This won’t hurt you, but the potency is reduced. So if you get very smelly NAC, it might not be strong. Also if you get NAC with no odor after exposing it to air for awhile, it might not be NAC.

Mostly known brands are OK though. Keep the cap closed. Capsules probably going to be better at retaining potency than powder.

1 Like

Wow, it is expensive. Thank you for your advice though. Sadly i’m still not sure what to buy. Tomorrow I’m gonna blast my psychiatrist with some questions in this matter. I expect nothing lol.

I use Jarrow, which isn’t very expensive. I usually pay $10-12 for 100 capsules. Lasts about a month.

1 Like

That’s the brand I take, too. I can buy it at a local store, so it is a readily available brand, and it works great for me. That brand has two different forms-- one is sustained release and the other is immediate release. The sustained release is a little more expensive but I think it works better because I get to have it constantly in my system.

1 Like

Sorry to confuse you. NAC is the one that helps me. I don’t bother with the L-Cysteine.

They both are easily absorbed, but they do different things in the body. NAC is the one that helps me with mental illness issues.

thanks, i got confused. to make my initial question clear - according to wikipedia N-acetyl cysteine is the same as N-acetyl L-cysteine.
Acetylcysteine is the N-acetyl derivative of the amino acid L-cysteine.

Hmmm… well, what you will see at the store are bottles with either NAC on them or L-Cysteine on them. The one that seems to work for our purposes is NAC. I wouldn’t bother with the bottles that are labeled L-Cysteine. The brands I’ve used are Jarrow, Now, and Doctor’s Best. The Jarrow brand is my favorite in this case, but they’re all decent brands. Good luck!

Thanks for clearing it up:):+1: