Mystery diagnoses?

I had to change psychiatrists and on the new referral letter, I noticed a diagnosis of BPii listed in the patient history section. BP was literally never discussed with me at all, not even in general parlé. It was my GP who listed it in my history.

Anyone else experience an unspoken mystery diagnosis like this before? Frankly it doesn’t bother me so long as it doesn’t affect the new PDOC’s judgement. I don’t care what the name of the problem is so long as it leads to more effective treatment, but it is still fairly unprofessional and bizarre (in my opinion).

1 Like

My parents were told I had COPD when I was last hospitalized which is extremely confusing as I am not nor have ever been a smoker. My regular general doctor said it was probably more me developing asthma than COPD,

Mystery diagnoses that made me think of in the hospital everybody pulls a slip of paper from the hat and that is your new diagnoses I hope you like the meds.

My last hospitalisation I was ADHD UNdiagnosed. A diagnosis that I’ve carried for the past … crap I’m getting old … 20 years. At that point I just played their game to get out of there and see a real PDOC who doesn’t ignore decades of clinical evidence supporting it as a real disorder.

Mind you, the diagnosis of BP being never discussed also meant I was never given treatment for it either. That’s the most bizarre part about it. Why put it on paper, avoid mentioning it or treating it? Bizzaro.

Unless your respitory problems were chronic, I’d be pretty confused too! COPD is one of those blanket diagnoses like IBS. Every Doctor needs a plan B if they aren’t certain!

1 Like

I really hadn’t noticed any breathing problems before the hospital. Since then I have noticed times when I’m short of breath, and not just when I’m doing things either.

I was in the doctor’s office for an infected fingernail once, and the doctor flipped through my chart and asked, How long have you had MRSA? Seriously freaked me out; I’d never been told I had MRSA before and as far as I know, I’d never been tested for it.

Yep that’d freak me out too. Would it have been worse if the way you found out was by happenstance upon reading a referral? ha

I get that a lot of people with mental illness are anosognosic and caution is often prudent, but I’ve never been anything but curious and open-minded when seeing my treaters … it makes me wonder if it was a mix-up. The same clinic made a pretty significant error on my wife’s last referral stating that she was recently hospitalised due to attempted suicide (completely false).

It does make you wonder just how long the physician was sitting on the suspicion before communicating it …

My pdoc never mentioned my diagnosis until I asked her straight up. I was nervous about doing it, couldn’t tell you why. I wonder how common the practice is, to not say the diagnosis unprompted.

I guess once its out in the open it that’s that. I have a stronger distaste for uncertainty. I also wonder how common it is … probably rather common in disorders of the psychotic spectrum, due to anosognosia and its associated potential pitfalls. I’m tactful but upfront and won’t hesitate to ask my GP how the diagnosis appeared on my file. Seeing him tomorrow!