My very unhealthy relationship with sleep

I have an unhealthy relationship with sleep.
For the past two weeks, I’ve been having maybe 6-7 hours or sleep each night, at max, on average.
I’ve been spending lots of time with a friend who does best when he’s had 6-6.5 hours of sleep, and he claims I sleep way too much when given the chance, because apparently most people only need 6-7.5 hours of sleep.

I keep trying to tell him I have two diseases (SZ and PCOS) that make me sleepier than most, and that my brain needs more rest than others, but he won’t have it.
Says I just need to exercise more.

On days where I don’t see him, I spend most of my time sleeping.
In the past 36 hours, I’ve spent 23 of them sleeping. That’s unhealthy too.

I feel like I can’t find a balance, and it annoys me that everyone around me brings it back to exercise. I know I should do it more, but on most days, I’m struggling so hard to stay awake, I’m scared exercise would burn out what little energy I’ve got left.

It’s starting to really bug me. I want to have more sleep on average, but when I let loose on “off-days”, I can’t wake up. I hear the alarm, and I turn it off, and then I keep on sleeping for many more hours.
It makes me feel almost drunk when I do wake up because I sleep so much, it’s almost an addiction.

How do I find a better balance with my sleep?
Is exercise really the only answer?

1 Like

I sleep 12 hrs a night…too much I think

1 Like

Some people need more sleep than others.

Maybe you can move your alarm across the room so when you hear it you have to get out of bed to turn it off. Also I hear 15 min naps in the day can help.

1 Like

You say you sleep too much. *How much is too much? Younger people who are in a growth time often do need extra sleep. Parents sometimes do not understand this since they themselves do not need the extra sleep. Your body probably knows just what it needs.

If the sleep you are getting is not ‘deep’ enough (lacking sufficient delta or slow-wave sleep) you won’t necessarily feel rested no matter how long you sleep. Ask someone who would know if you snore and how loud. Sleep disordered breathing can also diminish sleep effectiveness.

*Edit: I see you mentioned that in the third paragraph.

I’m 28, so I should be past the growing-stage.
But I do snore, and I sometimes talk in my sleep.

I’ve always felt like I dream way too much, and that it’s somehow connected to me never feeling rested.

1 Like

Have you ever considered getting a sleep study done? Maybe you’re not getting quality sleep so you feel like you need more.

As for the exercise, yes it uses energy, but it also gives you more energy. Though sometimes it takes a week or two to feel the energy benefits.

5 Likes

I was going to say the same thing,

You could probably really benefit from a sleep study.

4 Likes

How do I get a sleep study?
Do I ask my doctor about it?

1 Like

Yeah. Bring up your sleep concerns with your doctor. Especially the feeling drunk when waking up part. That doesn’t sound normal at all. But having PCOS could put you at a higher risk for sleep apnea and other sleep disorders.

3 Likes

I concur about getting a sleep study. I have sleep apnea (Well I hope I don’t anymore, I have to wait for my yearly test). But with that soft tissue in the back of your throat relaxes and your tongue can block your airway when you are deep asleep. This can wake you up often right before you can have the most important REM dream sleep.

I use an oxygen concentrator with a nosepiece. The air pressure is supposed to keep the airway open.

As far as exercise, I find it allows me to function on less sleep. But I think it’s still best I get 7-8 hours. I think it’s just endorphins rather than my requirement actually being lowered.

This topic was automatically closed 95 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.