My Therapist Thinks I Should Be An Advocate

Hey everyone, it has been a while since I have stopped by.

So last month I was talking in a Zoom meeting with my therapist and she mentioned being an advocate for those with schizophrenia.

I am not sure the best way to do this and don’t know if I have enough drive for it but I thought I would bring it up here and gather thoughts.

What does everyone think people without schizophrenia need to know and what do you guys need changed?

I personally believe we should have access to better medication with fewer side effects and more affordability.

Perhaps I need to discuss this with her again, I am feeling fairly complacent at the moment and like my drive has been sucked out, need more of a drive for this sort of thing.

1 Like

Sure, if that’s what you’re into.

I think they should know most that were typically not dangerous especially if we’re following treatment.

4 Likes

I think that’s wonderful. I would love to be an advocate. I think for me the most important things are understanding medication side effects and knowing you can ask for a change in your medicine if the side effects are bothering you. So definitely advocate for that.

2 Likes

I think fighting stigma and misinformation is really important

3 Likes

People need to know the real percentage of people with schizophrenia who are non violent and what needs to change is medication. We need to get the best meds possible to help us with our mental illnesses.

1 Like

We definitely need help with this.

2 Likes

Let them know that negative symptoms aren’t our fault and that we need meds for those symptoms because there isn’t any yet my psychiatrist told me.

1 Like

This one too. 15

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.