My Psychologist told me I'm overmedicated

Thanks 15151515

2 Likes

Isn’t having no symptoms the point of meds?

4 Likes

I suppose it is, but in the end of the day I don’t know my limits of medications.

Just be careful. My p.doc thought i was overmedicated and reduced my rexulti. I started to get delusional thoughts and voices again, and i had a urge to self harm (but i didnt). I immediately told her and she upped it again, but it took 7-10 days for me to stablize again.

That doesn’t mean it’ll happen to you. But it just reminded me of my situation. So pay attention to your symptoms and report them if your positive symptoms come back.

1 Like

I will be careful, and I wont do anything with out my psychiatrist approval first.

6 Likes

Depends on your view…

For me, quality of life (for myself and my kid both) is the point. No positive symptoms is just one aspect of that. There’s other important things too. For me…I rather try manage positive symptoms in other ways…because the side effects were so heavy…that it also disturbed our quality of life (and my life expectancy).

Psychologist don’t know about meds, he should stick to therapy and let the psychiatrist do the meds.

3 Likes

While that’s true they work through a different model that emphasises therapy. These models medical vs psychosocial can be antagonistic sometimes but they are also complimentary. It is also helpful to hear and have a voice and place that argues against over medication. It’s not necessarily great that this is basically the point of call you will hear this opinion is from psychologists but different and diverse opinions can also still be vaild sometimes. That’s what it takes to create change both at the structural and patient/client level.

2 Likes

Very much so, with the limiting of side effects

1 Like

Your therapist doesn’t know more about meds than your psychiatrist

This is very unusual :thinking:

1 Like

I agree with everyone pointing out a therapist or psychologist isn’t a med expert. Talk to your pdoc.

4 Likes

I’m starting to think my Psychologist might be anti medications.

1 Like

that’s not true. this isn’t scientific opinion from him

1 Like

he was trying discourage me from trying different medications.

1 Like

He is stupid. Find another

4 Likes

You already have a thread on your psychologist. Merging this one with it.

I couldn’t agree more !

2 Likes

Would you believe if told you my previous therapist told me to quit meds. My insurance cover some weird therapists.

1 Like

I would believe it but I wouldn’t recommend it. There are good people and bad people wherever you go just because someone has the formal qualification of psychologists doesn’t mean they are good at what they do. The client/theapist relationship has an imbalanced power dynamic so it’s easy to have over reliance on that information because of the trust built in that relationship. In that situation I would just ask your psychologists to speak to your pdoc so that you have a wraparound and cohesive team approach to your care.

1 Like

Thanks for the advice