My Psychologist told me I'm overmedicated

He told me to tell my psychiatrist to reduce my dose of 100mg Seroquel

Did she tell you why? Do you feel overmedicated? It is your body/mind.

1 Like

he told me since I have no positive symptom that my dose should be lower.

1 Like

Depends on what you want. I guess.

I have noticed many psychiatrists like to overdose. Preferring to completely get rid of positives, and risks, but at the cost of higher side effects and medication damage.

I prefer to have some positives, and some risk, but less problems from medication.

Everyone has a different preferrence in this though…what do you want?

3 Likes

Psychologists aren’t trained in medication.

11 Likes

That true 151515

1 Like

I think your psychologist and psychiatrist can advice you. But in the end, it is your life.

I think you should only lower the dose, if you want to. If you find the risk too high and dont have a problem with this dose… why lower it? Are there any problems with your AP for you?

I would bring it up. And see what the psychiatrist says. Then decide what you yourself think is best.

1 Like

Maybe I can handle lower dosage, I just don’t know.

1 Like

Lowering the dose can be done very carefully. Without a rush. Carefully monitoring symptoms. Building up coping skills. Keeping in close contact with your MH team.

None of us here knows your symptoms, side effects, and the risks for you and your environment though. It’s difficult to advice on such things through the internet. I’d take the advice of your psychologist with you…but also listen to your doc, and yourself, your loved ones.

2 Likes

My symptom are delusions and voices.

1 Like

What would happen if they returned? Is there a danger to self or others? Does this come up quickly, or is there a slow increase, so you can up the med again in time?

1 Like

There is a slow increase of positive symptoms overtime, but that only happen while I was not on medication.

1 Like

For Seroquel 100mg is extremely low of a dose…but don’t take my advice on this

1 Like

Yeah when I took it I was taking 850mg a day

1 Like

My psychologist told me it does not matter the dose your on, all the matter is weather you have positive symptoms on a lower dose.

100mg is indeed low. I was on 25mg against insomnia before getting psychotic. And 100mg against psychosis. It was a change from 2mg of haldol, a minimal adult dose against psychosis here. Are you sensitive to medication? Or not?

If there is a slow increase, you might be able to see what happens with very slow withdrawal. In cooperation with your doc. Or just stick to this, if you are well now.

There is a symptoms versus side effects trade off…I don’t think we can make that choice for you. Nor can your psychologist.

I think I am sensitive to medications

1 Like

Then perhaps a lower dose is possible as a maintainance med. But: :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

I suppose it worth a shot

1 Like

I would get a pillcutter so you can go down slowly. Split 25mg tablet in two so you can go 87.5mg for starters.

2 Likes