My primary dr just prescribed

Me Lipitor and a one month supply of 50000 IU’s of vitamin D. Should I take them? I don’t want to be on a statin. And the 50,000 IUs seems like overkill. What would you do?

1 Like

I take 50k IU every week for my vit D, keeps my levels even. They do it that way for a better absorption rate.

Can’t help with the Lipitor, but I’d trust my doctor

1 Like

Ok. Thanks for letting me know you’ve been prescribed that too. It just seems so high for vitamin D.

1 Like

I took 50000 iu vit d once a week for over a year to correct my deficiency. For some reason it took awhile to cure. I take a statin for my cholesterol, it keeps it at about 170

1 Like

I’ve heard statins are worse for you than high cholesterol. Do you worry about that?

2 Likes

I would look at the side effects of vitamin D and then make your judgement if your questioning the supplement

1 Like

My father was prescribed 50000 IU Vitamin D once a week.

I’ve been on Lipitor for years.

Trust your doctor @ZmaGal.

1 Like

Simvastatin and metformin here

1 Like

I heard the same thing. I read that we need a certain amount of ldl cholesterol to be balanced and healthy

1 Like

I never heard that. What do they say?

@leafy https://www.webmd.com/cholesterol-management/news/20140818/statins-side-effects-news

1 Like

omg I had no idea. thanks

1 Like

im on a vit d. and Lipitor. I do worry about taking the statin long term. so im transitioning to a vegetarian diet without eggs with oatmeal and fruits, nuts and seeds, salads, baked potato’s and beans and peas. hopefully that helps, my only source of dietary cholesterol is from the cheese I put on my salads. if my next bloodwork comes back ok, I might go without the statin.

If I were you, I would take them as prescribed for a short while and see how you feel. trust your doctors but you can still decide if you want to take them or not long term. it’s your decision.

1 Like

Going back to vegetarian is a good idea @Lifer

1 Like

yeah I hope it helps. I just couldn’t bring myself to cut out the cheese though…lol…:yum:

1 Like

I used to take the 50,000 iu Vitamin D capsules too when my deficiency was first diagnosed. I think the normal range started at 100 and mine was only 13. That was back when I was vegan and also had a severe B12 deficiency.

The large dose is safe to take, no worries.

About the statin, I would trust the doctor, at least for the short-term. You don’t have to be on it forever, maybe just until you make some dietary adjustments to help your cholesterol. Use the statin for now and set a goal to be able to come off it. It might help you in the immediate future.

If a vegetarian diet appeals to you, there is so much you can do with it! I pretty much eat vegetarian five days a week with no problem, I don’t try for that, but I just happen to not eat a lot of meat. I have been exclusively vegetarian for several years in the past. It’s pretty easy to stick with.

1 Like

I’ve taken a statin for years. It’s just one of those things as I take meds for mental and physical things. It’s all just my overall health and i’ve had no problems. Saves me changing my diet too much.

1 Like

ive seen research that indicated for proper absorbance/usage of vitamin d supplementation, there had to be vitamin k along w it, idk though
https://www.ahajournals.org/doi/10.1161/HYPERTENSIONAHA.116.08869

okay, i didnt find one that said that right off when i looked it up interestingly, but i did find some mentioning synergestic effects of the two vitamins and i believe that the addition of K works with D to improve bone health but could also be more beneficial for cardiovascular systems than D alone? i would totally talk to a doctor about it tbh
also if you mean a monthly supply that equals 50,000, then i guess thats 50,000/30 = 1,666 iu/day, which is totally normal/healthy dosing i think

@korieve it’s 50,000 IUs per week for one month. I’ll look into the absorption issue. Thanks for the tip!

That’s a good way to see it @rogueone