My pdoc mentioned schizoaffective, mixed type

is that a form of bipolar, the mixed type.,

2 Likes

Think bipolar has more of a mood component vs SZA is closer to schizophrenia with a mood component. So more psychotic symptoms than bipolar.

3 Likes

It said and I quote: she is a 37 year old female with a diagnosis of schizoaffectve disorder mixed type. Bipolar disorder and social phobic disorder…"

I thought mixed episodes were related to bipolar… but they could also be related to depression?

i think mixed episodes are a combination of mood disorder and schizophrenia symptoms.

1 Like

It generally means that you have schizophrenia and bipolar that has mixed episodes I don’t know if that means it’s only mixed episodes or you get manic or just plain depressed too idk

1 Like

I don’t think that schizoaffective mixed type is used here in the States.

Not sure exactly what it is but I do know that bipolar with mixed episodes means that someone will experience mania and depression during an episode

5 Likes

For @Wave

4 Likes

I used to have that dx.

1 Like

I have bipolar 1 mixed type with psychosis.
I believe it means the mood component is more prominent.

Schizoaffective mix type I read you get periods of psychosis with no mood episode as well as with mood episodes.

It could also be related to functioning or just how your pdoc chooses to diagnose you.

Like my pdoc said im too high functioning to have schizoaffective. Her sza patients are quite low functioning she said.

4 Likes

What makes you more higher functioning? I have no idea how my functioning compares to others. Im diagnosed with sza

2 Likes

Thanks @anon25523312! :slightly_smiling_face: 15

2 Likes

Im sza bipolar type too.

1 Like

High functioning is a subjective term. I think we each define what it means to us and our goals. Mine does not involve work. Still figuring out what it means for me.

1 Like

Because i can work full time and present myself well despite having psychosis or mood episodes for the most part. Good coping skills.

Thats what my psychiatrist said.

But its like walking a tightrope, a step away from getting better or worse

2 Likes

Heres an article. It would be similar for bipolar or sza or other psychotic illness.

2 Likes

Oh ok. I can barely work or take care of myself so im probably pretty low functioning

1 Like

Although I’m currently diagnosed with bipolar I could very well have schizoaffective bipolar type.

I’ve been diagnosed with SZA before a few times

1 Like

High functioning while on medication or?

1 Like

@LevelJ1, What is it about you that makes your pdoc think you are high functioning? Oh, I’m sorry @LevelJ1. I just saw your answer above.

1 Like

No, it is schizoaffective disorder, an illness which takes some symptoms from Bipolar Disorder and some from Schizophrenia. The prognosis is worse than Bipolar and better than that of schizophrenia. You could be positive and think that you don’t have schizophrenia (like me) or you could hate the fact that you don’t have Bipolar.

1 Like