Schizophrenia.com

My partner said I should apply for benifits!

I thought he was dead against me applying but he told me to apply :confused: said that if i am entitled to that money there is nothing wrong in it… and that if the dr has told me to work part-time it will help if i can get it… i was surprised because he hates people applying for benifits and abusing it.

4 Likes

You don’t seem like the kind of person who would abuse it.

2 Likes

There’s no shame in applying for benefits. You paid into the system. It’s not a handout. It’s an insurance policy you’ve invested heavily into.

2 Likes

But he likes you. So he is trying to help you how he can. And you wouldn’t be abusing it. Your government or province or county makes the rules about who can collect benefits. If you qualify under their rules than you would be doing nothing wrong.

I feel the same way about getting food from the food bank twice a month. I feel guilty because I work part-time and already collect disability and when I go there I drive up in a nice car. But I’ve told the volunteers there I feel guilty and they reassure me I’m doing nothing wrong. The food bank makes the rules and they have all my income information on file so if I am doing nothing wrong (according to them) then I will accept the extra help and get groceries for free.

4 Likes

There’s no shame in collecting disability because you qualify for it. I’ve been on disability for 13 years and I don’t know what I would do without it.

2 Likes

yeah, if you are eligible then i say go for it, i’ve been getting benefit money from about 2003 so no biggy, if you are ready to work then you can do that too

1 Like

Universal credit is probably what you would go on and if you do it’s pretty good in the sense that you can work over the previously known limit of 16 hours or so, just your benefits get cut down after a specific work allowance amount. Good luck if you are entitled then you are entitled, no abuse there as is what your partner doesn’t like, understandably so

1 Like

I get that guilty feeling too. However i think if i can get it now i might have to accept the help. Work is great but working part-time (as the dr reccomended) doesn’t help me financially.

when you think about it that wway… however i have applied twice before and been rejected twice. i am thinking now to talk about only the difficulties i have in the dark periods and highlight those in the forms…

1 Like

Like everyone else said. If your entitled to it than claim it. The ex-wife threw a fit one day cos i got a crisis loan once and ive had people call me a scrounger for getting esa/pip by people in pubs whos opinoin doesnt matter anyway.

Alot of people here just think your claiming free money, Frankly i find them just jealous, and they simply dont undertand the disability behind it.

1 Like

You may have to prove that your condition has gotten worse since the last time you applied. If you got denied twice.

1 Like

To be fair, it’s probably the same… :confused:

1 Like

On what basis did they deny you the PIP previously ?

I didn’t meet any of the criterea and scored 0 points. In the end i didn’t appeal at that point.

Oops in that case chances are you’ll be denied again. But it’s still worth a try, what do you gotta lose?

1 Like

What really helps is supportive evidence from gp or cpn or psychiatrist along with your application…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.