My mom is having major surgery right now

I had to get up at 4:00am and take my mom at the hospital for 6:00am. She went into the operating room at 8:00am. The surgery is scheduled for 4 hours. It’s now just after 11:00am local time.

It’s major surgery. She is having part of her sigmoid colon removed, an abscess that is pressing on her intestine is also being removed. She is in her 70’s and surgery for older people is risky. On top of that the doctor said because she will be weak after surgery if she catches Covid while in the hospital she will probably die from it, even though she has been double vaxxed (Moderna). Covid cases have been rising recently.

I’m tired and I’m worried. The surgeon is going to call me after it is over to let me know how it went.

9 Likes

That’s a lot to worry about. I had an elderly relative who had major surgery at 79 and they were fine. I hope everything goes ok.

2 Likes

Wishing for the best. I know it’s hard.

3 Likes

How scary! I really hope it all turns out ok. Can you keep us updated?

2 Likes

Sending well wishes to you and your mum @Headspark

2 Likes

Thanks @everhopeful @anon4362788 @CoCo @Ribbon

Will do!

4 Likes

I hope everything went well.

2 Likes

Take care. Hospitals are being very safe these days because of covid. She’s in good hands. :pray:

2 Likes

Sending you both well wishes. Your mum is very brave.

2 Likes

HAHA, that reminds me of when I was around 16 I met this girl from Australia on IRC and we became pen pals, then we started talking on the phone. We use to argue (In a good natured humorous way) whether or not it was Mom (I’m Canadian) or Mum (She argued it was this). And we both pronounced it differently.

2 Likes

Sending you good wishes for your mom’s speedy recovery.

2 Likes

İ hope everything goes well.best wishes

2 Likes

You have a lot on your mind.

I hope everything goes well with surgery and recovery.

Keep us updated.

2 Likes

I’m sorry I hope she’s okay

2 Likes

So it’s 1:00pm now, the surgery was scheduled to end an hour ago. Now I am worried, I should have heard from the surgeon by now, was there complications?

1 Like

Sometimes things just take longer. I hope she’s doing well in the surgery.

2 Likes

I just heard from the surgeon, the surgery took them over an hour longer than scheduled. There were complications, things were worse than they thought after they opened her up but the good news is they managed to accomplish everything they needed too and the surgery was a success. However due to the complications her recovery time will be longer than they had anticipated so she may be in the hospital an extra week or so.

That brings me some relief, she is in the ICU recovering now.

11 Likes

best wishes brother man, thoughts and prayers to moms!

2 Likes

Oh good! I’m so glad it all worked out. I hope she surprises them and recovers quickly

2 Likes

Glad to hear your mom is out of surgery @Headspark.

Hope she gets to feeling better soon :sunny:

2 Likes