My memory fails me

My memory fails me. I was going to pick upp the poo after my dog. I stopped existing for some time and found myself walking around with the empty poo bag in one hand and the dog in the other hand. I hate when my memory fails me. I believe I was too occupied with my voices and racing thoughts. I got stuck inside my head for a while. I don’t know where he pooed. Now my neighbors will be cross with me.

Any tips on how to stay focused and not get occupied by voices?

I have concentration problems too. I can’t for example drive as a result. I just start to daydream after a while when doing anything that requires concentration.

The only advice I can give is don’t beat yourself up too much over it. We’re all at the mercy of our meds and how well they work. But at the end of the day we have a mental illness which includes concentration problems unfortunately.

2 Likes

I’m getting worse. But routine helps with some things. If you take your dog out and he poops, can you pick it up right away? And make it routine that that’s what you’re there to do? I wish I had s better answer, but it is part of it all. :two_hearts:

1 Like

I always pick it up right away. This time something happened and my brain paused.

1 Like

Sorry @Comatose. I forget things a lot too. Do you take vitamins, fish oil, anti-oxidants? I just started taking vitamins again. Wish I had a better answer for you.

Yes. Vitamine pills every day.

If you’re on pills that’s normal, they’re meant to distract your mind, other than that just play memory games they do help a lot, or try linking memories to other memories to make it easier to remember.

1 Like

You can try following your breath during the day. It helps to bring your mind back to your body and out of the clouds. Make it a habit. Thich Nhat Hanh has written on this.

1 Like

Like meditation. I will try.

I started to have severe memory and concentration problems long before my first psychosis. Still have 'em up to this day.

I got an ADHD diagnose 6 years before I got ill. Maybe I don’t have ADHD? Things have gotten worse since I became ill.