My last step to sobriety!

is being able to be around drinkers and not drink. i don’t drink a lot, and no longer go to parties or bars and don’t buy alcohol. but i am a lot of times over at mom and dad’s and they offer me a glass of wine, and i have no willpower to say no. im thinking if i can just quit for a couple years, a glass of wine will be something i no longer want and will be easy to turn down.

mom and dad never drank growing up, but ever since their trip to italy they have started wine once a week. with weed it helped that i was never around the stuff when i decided to quit, so that made it easy. now almost 7 years have passed without smoking and it’s not something i even want anymore. i think the same thing would be true of alcohol, but i just can’t get away from it.

i just had a conversation with mom and dad, and told them that if they quit, it would make it much easier for me to quit drinking. in the meantime, i am going to have to have more will power and say no when offered a glass. its been 2 weeks since my last glass of wine, because it hasn’t been offered to me in that time. wish me strength and willpower!

5 Likes

Best of luck in giving up :four_leaf_clover:

2 Likes

It sounds like you don’t currently drink a whole lot, so giving it up shouldn’t be too tough. Although, I know I’d have trouble giving it up, too, and I don’t drink a whole lot either (I stick with beer). Good luck, man, I hope you’re able to achieve your goal and give it up completely.

3 Likes

I ‘quit’ drinking once. Then I moved up to 1 glass of wine per night. Then I wanted to up that…

That’s when I quit drinking for real. This was like 4.5 years ago.

It was obnoxious because my step dad (who I was living with) is an alcoholic and he continually ask me if I want a drink. He couldn’t imagine why anyone would want to quit drinking I guess.

GL

2 Likes

what i want most of it all. is to not want it in the first place. one glass isn’t that great, getting drunk is not enjoyable anymore. why do i want the one glass? i need to get away from it.

2 Likes

@Lifer it sounds like you have a pretty good grasp on things,. Are you concerned that the glass of wine would tempt you to go backward into alcoholism?

I have been sober for 15 years, and now I don’t crave it at all, I don’t think I could go back to drinking if I tried. But there are a few people I will have a beer with. There is an association of good times and camaraderie connected to it. But after two beers, it might be a year before I have another

Best of luck, whatever you decide

1 Like

@Lifer maybe it’s the ultimate peer pressure with your parents. A peace offering on their part, and an acceptance of you, and you wanting to feel a part of that. I don’t know, I’m shooting in the dark here. The fact that is just with your parents gives me pause for thought… That’s interesting

1 Like

Good for you for trying :slight_smile: You’re doing the right thing. How did your parents respond?

1 Like

my dad didn’t really say much of note. i’ve already forgotten his words to me. o now i remember, he said, “don’t ask for it, and we won’t offer you any” so that doesn’t help me much. but we talked so now im thinking they won’t offer me any. if only i had something else to drink for awhile, like a diet coke at dinner or something.

2 Likes

That’s a good idea. Pick your favorite non alcoholic drink and bring it with you to dinner

2 Likes

I wouldn’t switch to Diet Coke, or Diet anything.

not only is it a labeling gimmick, but those drinks
turn to formaldahyde (sp) in the body.

also, low-fat, and low-salt items are myths
that they’re better for you.
Everyone needs healthy fats,
and if you’re having frequent
leg cramps, you need more salt.

I took an online course in Food, Health, and Nutrition.

1 Like

I feel the same. I liked a glass of wine, but i couldn’t control it anymore, even i don’t like being drunk, and ended up drinking the whole bottle anyway, so now i have stopped and been alco free for a week.

Wish you luck to stay sober.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 95 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.