My involuntary commitment

I looked up the case from 2008, and the judge dismissed the case without prejudice.

Case type - “Civil Commitment”

“Petition to involuntarily admit person with mental illness”

No sentence shown.

3 Likes

I think I’m going to ask the cop of the bus station tomorrow what it means to dismiss without prejudice means.

All I know is I went to the psych ward.

Feel free to ask your police officer as well but it wasn’t too hard to look up:

" What is the difference between dismissal with prejudice and without prejudice?
A dismissal with prejudice means that the ruling is the final judgment in the case. The dismissal prohibits the prosecutor from refiling the charges. In a dismissal without prejudice, the prosecutor can refile the charges (or file new charges based on the same circumstances) at some future time. ."

1 Like

This is the advice I just received.

“If you were petitioned upon intake to the psych hospital, and placed on Court Ordered Treatment, which generally lasts one year, but can be rolled over, then yes, you are likely prohibited from owning or possessing a firearm. When you are taken off of Court Order treatment, the restrictions are lifted.”

My mom and her friend petitioned the court to have me involuntarily admitted. I was in the psych hospital only one month. It didn’t start at the State Hospital. I went to court where a judge heard my mom’s petition. I told my public defender I didn’t want to fight it and would go if they thought I should. A motion to waive a Section 5 hearing was made, then the judge issued the order. I don’t have any of this paperwork. I assume my public defender has it.

I’m not going to get a gun unless my friend moves here. He collects guns and has a lot of them. I’m just going to be up to my rear end in guns if comes here.

Per state law requirements, my apartment building has signs posted saying guns aren’t allowed in the building. So I don’t know what we are going to do with all his guns if he comes here.

Is this per State law or Federal?

1 Like

I didn’t ask that, but a good thought.

I have a feeling it’s state law. Like I said in the previous thread. You may be able to get around it by state laws, but based on my understanding, Federal law still prohibits it unless you go through the courts to restore privileges.

That’s my understanding.

1 Like

Thanks @Bowens I appreciate your advice.

1 Like

What state are you in again? Let me see what I can find specific to your state…

Nevermind…its in your profile

1 Like

I’m in Arkansas.

1 Like

It’s possible that if the state drops the restriction, Federal does as well. While researching a few minutes ago, I found that this was the case in another state…Imma get to the bottom of this…

1 Like

Thanks @Bowens. As you may see Arkansas is a very pro gun state. I don’t want to start up the trouble again that there was with the other thread.

"### Mental Health Prohibitor

Bars gun possession by people who have been involuntarily committed or found to be a danger to self or others

How long is a person prohibited by the state law?
Indefinitely"

1 Like

Thanks @Bowens 15

1 Like

This is just internet search stuff though…if you want to be 100% certain about state and federal laws, maybe contact a lawyer.

1 Like

I cannot own, possess, or purchase a gun in the entire US because of a long-term civil commitment in my past. It doesn’t matter which state I’m in, as my name shows up on the NICS database on the Federal list and flags me as mentally ill. If I was found with a firearm, I would be charged on the Federal level for “prohibited person possessing a firearm”. I’ve never been convicted of a crime but I still can’t have a gun legally. In my case that’s a good thing.

1 Like

Thanks for the information @WhiteRaven

This topic was automatically closed 95 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.