My girlfriends having psychosis .... olanzapine help

@ThePoet It took me 4 years to go from 40mg down to nothing, and several months of weird side effects before I was finally free of it (except for the insomnia I spoke about that is still with me 5 months after quitting). I’ve spoken to @anon8091425 about this on this website before.

Olanzapine is unlike other antipsychotics. It affects 17 different receptors in the brain, so when you finally come off it all that neurochemistry has to reset itself back to normal. It can take a long time and I think that is why people like @anon8091425, myself and many others have such a hard time.

Some people are lucky though, they can quit without problems, but there are a ton of people that do have problems. I’m not saying don’t use olanzapine, just don’t make it your first option, there are many aps to choose from and I would recommend you try those first.

2 Likes

Oh wow that’s great to know I didn’t know that :open_mouth: thanks…

1 Like

@Headspark I’m so sorry to hear that you are still struggling with the insomnia. It sounds awfull. I wish I could have spoken to you previously to accepting that crap.

2 Likes

Thanks @anon8091425 It is definitely a struggle. The 1.5mg of clonazepam I am taking for sleep works but really tranquilizes me during the day, I don’t feel like my normal self, but it is the only way I can sleep.

Same, I wish someone had warned me too

1 Like

I used to be on 30 mg of Zyprexa and transitioned into Invega without sleeping issues or the like. I didn’t have any major issues in quitting it.

1 Like

Thanks @Jonathan2 I appreciate you help :raised_hands:

1 Like

Ah man, that’s not good :confused:

Sorry y’all are having to go through this.
Hope everything works out

1 Like

Thanks for the good wishes @human I appreciate it

1 Like

I don’t understand why they prescribe aps for insomnia. I’m sorry she is having hallucinations. I hope things work out.

1 Like

Thanks Luna I appreciate the concern hope you’re having a good day

1 Like

Yeah many people with depression are prescribed abilify, and some people with tourette’s get prescribed with that too.

2 Likes

I was prescribed 25mg Seroquel for insomnia when I first started having issues.

2 Likes

I hope things get better for your girlfriend. If she does need antipsychotics, every drug is different for everyone. Olanzapine is one of the most likely ones to cause weight gain.

If her main problem is insomnia, an antipsychotic might be jumping the gun a bit. Chronic sleep deprivation causes hallucinations in every single human being. Has she been evaluated for a sleep disorder? That might be a better starting point.

I know there was recently a huge blow up in the pdoc community with people getting in trouble for prescribing seroquel as a sleep aid in patients with no psychotic symptoms.

2 Likes

You could gain 50-100 pounds on Olanzapine.

I don’t understand why they give APs as a sleep aid.

1 Like

It’s because a lot of them are strong anti-histamines. But there are other options like doxepin, cyproheptadine (Periactin), and trimipramine (Surmontil) that are not classified as antipsychotics.

-Albert.

1 Like

My husbands dr prescribed several antipsychotics for him to treat insomnia. They all messed him up pretty badly. He doesn’t take them now

3 Likes

Does it work? I am on clonazepam for sleep but I’ve been on it for about 4-5 months and I think it is starting to lose effectiveness?

1 Like

All sleep meds will lose effevtiveness after a time. They work by sedating you, and the more you take them the more your body works to regain its equilibrium by no longer being sedated. That’s why they usually say things like “do not take longer than 3 weeks” or something.

2 Likes

Thanks @Ninjastar I’ve heard that before but I can’t sleep without some kind of pill. Clonazepam has worked really well, I’ve been on it for months now, but it has gone for 8 hours of sleep, to 7, to 6. I find it hard to function with much less than 6 hours of sleep.

2 Likes

25mg of Seroquel would only put me to sleep for about 3 hours.

2 Likes