My father's poem

He completed his military service in 1952 and he wrote poems in his notebook that I have …

Pioneerin Testamentti

Henki Isänmaalle
Sydän naiselle
Ruumis madoille
Vatteet rättimikolle
Muistot tälle kirjalle
Rahat, jos jää, mokulle, joka maailmassa on kaikkein kurjin olento

Basically this means …

The will of the Pioneer

The life to the Fatherland
The heart to a woman
The body to worms
The clothes to a rag keeper
The memories to this book
Money, if any, to a rookie who is the most miserable being in this world

7 Likes

I and my father had a same hobby, we carried cameras during our military service and took pictures of our service, well he in 1952 and I 1992 … our eye color is even same, green-brown, yes, I am my father’s son …

4 Likes

One of the biggest achievements of mine in the past 17 years has been to lengthen the life of my father, he is still alive, although his friends Keijo, Raimo, Ilmari, Hannu and many others are dead already, I am happy about this …

During the years when I lived with my father, I protected him in many ways, for example, I did not let alcoholics to come to our house to disturb our life, once one person tried to come, he was totally drunk and I did not open the door, he yelled all kinds of things, took few months and he drank himself to death, I did not want those people to hurt my father.

1 Like

Somehow my life with my father was strange, I mean strange things happened, I took my father to see his brother in 2002 and his brother just commented that my father was in bad shape, but what then really happened, my father’s brother died 10 years ago, then once when my father was released from the hospital one person wanted to come and see him because they thought that my father would die, but what really happened this person died by himself many years ago, and then once my cousin came to our house to tell how well is things were and then years passed and he lost his big beautiful house and his marriage, it is somehow strange how things have gone.

I want to publish few more poems my father wrote in the army 65 years ago, unfortunately these are in Finnish and I do not have energies to translate these,but here these are.

1 Like

Pohjolan Yö

Pohjolan Yö
täynnä on kuumaa taikaa.
Tuuli kun jängällä soi,
mailleen kun painuvi koi.
Pohjolan yössä näin,
kun olet vierelläin,
lauluja Pohjolan yöstä mä laulan
Sinulle yksin vain.

Pohjolan kesäyön lempeät tuulet ne
laulunsa opetti mulle.
Pohjolan yössä nyt kauneimmat lauluni
laulelen yksin vain sulle.
Pohjolan taivaskin tummuu,
Kesäyön aurinko sammuu,
mutta mun kaipuuni Pohjolan yöhön ei milloinkaan.

(Ei enää kenota, pääsin juuri äsken posesta ja hyvin meni kun ei ajattele. Siis ohi on seitsemän poteron aamua, enkä tarvitse kävellä tykkipuistossa.)

Lähtölaulu

Ilomielin pojat kaikki tähän lauluun yhtykää.
Sillä ainoastaan kerran täältä Mikkelistä lähdetään.

Hyvästi nyt Mikkelin naiset kierosilmät ja lihavat,
meitä oottaa siviilissä omat heilamme ihanat.

Teräs varsan kiitäessä tämä kirous katoaa.
Sillä vuosien monien takaa tätä Mikkeliä muistellaan.

Ja Mikkelin asemalta pojat junahan astuvat.
Sillion monen tytön silmät kyynelistä kostuvat.

Alokkaan rukous

Herra Eversti, joka istut siellä esikunnassa. Tapahtukoon sinun tahtosi Pioneerikompanian kuudennelle prikaatille. Anna meille anteeksi meidän ylitetyt iltalomat. Sillä mekin annamme anteeksi keittiömestarille, joka huonolla ruualla rikkoi meidän vatsamme. Älä saata meitä santseille vaan päästä meidät pitkille kotilomille, sillä sinun on valta lyödä maahan ja ylös ainoastaan kahdeksan kuukautta vaan ei iänkaikkisesti - aamen.

I wish I knew more, but at the same time It feels good just to read them as they are.
Thank you for sharing them @mjseu.

I am a better son of my father, I have a brother and he has not even seen my father since 2001, he has never done anything good for my father, he is so different from me.

You’re a good man for caring .

1 Like