My family doctor told me that dieting is more important than exercise

He told me that in order to lose weight, diet or what we put in our bodies is more important than exercising.

He used the example of how thin prisoners of war were and they did not exercise much.

They were denied lots of food.

Do you think he has a point?
I thought both were important.

2 Likes

They were thin because they were/are starved practically to death. Iā€™m not saying your doctors wrong. Iā€™m not sure. But I donā€™t think using prisoners of war as example is right.

2 Likes

He is right, dieting is the easiest and most effective way to lose weight.

4 Likes

In my experience with losing weight,

Diet is more important in the beginning,

But the real weight loss comes with exercise.

I heā€™s right just from a weight loss standpoint,

But its healthier to do both.

5 Likes

Maybe he was trying to make things easier for me, I donā€™t know.
I will continue to count my steps.

1 Like

Iā€™m not sure I agree with your doctor. When I was walking 3 miles a day I was trim and I could eat pretty much whatever I wanted within reason. I donā€™t think I would strive to be like a POW. I would strive to be healthy not skinny, thereā€™s a difference.

2 Likes

When you workout good enough you can eat more itā€™s better

1 Like

My family doctor told me losing weight is 80% diet and 20% exercise. So our doctors are in agreement.

@Wave

4 Likes

Itā€™s good to know!
Thanks @anon17132524! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Technically he is right. Diet trumps exercise. A good exercise regimen can never fix a bad diet. But exercise is important, too. A good diet can never make you fit. You need exercise and a decent diet to keep your body healthy.

7 Likes

Exactly, some people develop over exercising eating disorders, too. Very very bad. Be good to your body! Itā€™s the only one you have

4 Likes

Yes diet is a good place to start to build some self discipline and learn your way around moderating your activity. Iā€™ve lost fifty lbs, but still have almost a hundred to lose at 300 lbs. So now I will have to exercise to lose the rest of the weight and keep it off. I intend to go to the gym for at least a year, and once I lose as much weight as I like, Iā€™d like to take up some fun exercise like a martial art of some kind.

2 Likes

For weight loss it pretty much is. You can exercise for 6 hours a day every day and be in the best shape of your life but still be obese if you are eating more calories than youā€™re burning.

3 Likes

The problem with dieting is doing it sensibly and not getting lured by the quick fix. Nb the charlatans who push ā€œLose 12lbs in 3 weeksā€ type messages. Then there is the issue of to calorie count or not . For me apart from the bother of keeping a record, Iā€™d worry about how accurately Iā€™d recorded everything. Was it 3ozs of meat I had or 4 for example.How much milk have I had in my coffee today?
Then of course going the ā€˜cutting downā€™ route there is the issue of accurately estimating how much on your plate is too much.

Eating healthily is important but anyone who says itā€™s easy to get it right is an ignorant fool. As for exercise I thought that was about toning the body rather than losing calories through doing it.

2 Likes

Ok kinda right but also notā€¦ if ur on apā€™s then you need to know that your body metabolizes carbs and fat abnormally so even if u diet and even if u starve urself ur more likely to lose muscle more than fat while dieting. When u work out u burn glycogen and fat for energy so ur more efficient at weight loss qirhrout the detriment of muscle loss. But in general diet usually is said to be more important (assuming u have a normal metabolism) ONLY because you basically metabolize x amount of calories every hour and you spend more time of ur day sitting around burning calories than u do from working out for an hour or two. That being said I lost 70 lbs In then past 7 months and I have to run 13 miles a dayā€¦ AND I only eat like 1300 caloriesā€¦ itā€™s bc the apā€™s. Without exercise Iā€™d have lost maybe a third of that MAYBE. But most of it was exercise and maintaining a diet so I didnā€™t gain any weight backā€¦

1 Like

if ya are on APs youre most likely going to have to eat less and exercise more than someone that isnā€™t on APsā€¦I think everyone realizes thatā€¦itā€™s the ā€œacceptance ā€œ that weā€™re dealing with mostly on this site. To be healthy you have to take your meds, eat healthy and exercise. Just like a paint by numbers. Ya just gotta be willing to pick up that paintbrush

1 Like

Well yes I think he has a point

1 Like

my whole life my mom said diet is 75% and exercise is 25%

I agree all the way. Dieting will get you a slender or unfat body and exercise will tone you and make your body firm and fit. If that makes sense.

3 Likes

I agree diet is more important. Some strength training might help you hold on to lean mass.
Some type of cardiovascular activity is best for burning extra calories.
The most important thing is to know your calories and take in less than you burn.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.