Schizophrenia.com

My ever changing diagnosis

It took me over 30 years but I graduated from schizophrenia to schizoaffective mixed type to personality disorder not otherwise specified to paranoid personality disorder.

Possibilities (1) The pdocs were incompetent (2) Diagnoses are bunkum (3) My symptoms did change over time warranting the changes in diagnosis.

I think it’s probably #3
It’s actually a good thing if you think about it.

1 Like

I wouldn’t exclude the possibility of 1 and 2 being true. 3 would be the most benign I agree.

1 Like

The diagnoses are pretty amorphous. They’re just there to give doctors an idea of where to begin treating a mental illness. Psychiatry is still young, and it is an imprecise science.

3 Likes

I think I have qualified as half the DSM at one point or another.

The doctors don’t really know what to do. They have to take it from the DSM. Diagnosis is mainly for medication and insurance purposes. People change over time. Still, you start out paranoid. You end up paranoid, although less so. Symptoms change over time too. Positive symptoms when you are young. Negative symptoms when you are old. It comes with the territory.

2 Likes

The Diagnostic system is full of â– â– â– â–  - thats what it boils down to.

1 Like

If they cared about really diagnosing people, they would’ve mapped the Sz genome. The system that we have is all we have though, so it is better than nothing.

Mom has been throwing a fit again about not being invited to my brother’s. It’s like daycare in here. :frowning:

Lol probably a bit of all 3

They have identified numerous genes associated w schizophrenia. The problem is mutations in one of them alone won’t necessarily cause it, you’d need mutations in many of them just to be at risk for developing sz. Even if you have all those gene mutations you may not get sz because it depends on environmental factors as well.

Basically schizophrenia is just a really complicated illness :frowning: And mental health research in general is underfunded so it moves too slow.

3 Likes