My daughter is obsessed with fashion

My daughter is a good student at school and she got all A in the last period. Now she always watches youtube. She focuses on makeups, dresses, and handbags though she is only ten-year-old. I am afraid of her spending too much time on those meaningless things, therefore, her study will be delayed. How sad!

I don’t think that’s bad. I think it’s healthy in fact. She has interests ! It’s great that she’s getting all A’s.

1 Like

Sounds like she is doing good. I would be concerned if her grades started slipping. :fish::fish::fish:

I think it’s normal. I’d only worry if she stops doing her homework or if she has a poor self-image.

1 Like

Totally normal. You can’t spend every waking minute on studying. I know in Asian homes the focus is on education and work…but it is more relaxed here. You can have enjoyment along with studying.

1 Like

Well said. Life is too short to be studying all the time. :grapes::grapes::grapes:

1 Like

My friends were all hard working in high school, the best of them used to not have to do any chores in the house, his parents would just bring him food and create a nice environment so he could do his studying; they both realized their jobs combined were less work than he did in a week! The guy was accepted to MIT in his sophomore year of high school. And probably a whole bunch of other top colleges but chose MIT.

1 Like

Squirrelette (my daughter) was suddenly aware of being a girl and fashion, makeup, and such around age eleven. This is a normal and healthy developmental stage for girls on the cusp of puberty. My suggestion is to take an interest in her new interests (even if you really aren’t) so you can stay part of her world. She’ll appreciate you more for it.

:blush:

1 Like

I’m obsessed with fashion and clothing too. Maybe she can find a carreer in fashion design.

1 Like

Try to learn why she is so interested. Fashion is sometimes portrayed as a vain concept but there is a lot of creativity involved and it’s a means of expression. If your daughter is interested in different types of styles and they can be mixed and how she can use them to express herself it means she’s exploring who she is and how she wears it. It doesn’t mean she doesn’t have any other interests or isn’t smart. Balance is healthy and it’s important to find a creative outlet or hobby. If you have interests you pursue outside of school or work you are likely going to do better in your studies or your job because you have a break from focusing and can refresh your brain. We’re not put on this earth to work all day long.

2 Likes

i would go home everyday wringing my hands, surrounded by these giants of achievement and motivation and being a mere shadow of their luminance. oy vey, im dictionarying to see if thats even a real word…oy vey.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.