My brother-in-law is Egyptian

I live in the city and don’t have to worry about it, but in the Southern US back woods where I live it’s a problem. I’m hesitant to use his or my sister’s name because it’s Arabic. He’s a native-born US citizen, but his parents are citizens of Egypt. I get along fine with him, and we write each other regularly. He serves in the US Navy, but is retiring next year.

4 Likes

I am Arab. I can teach you Arabic :grin:

2 Likes

Back in the early 1990’s my brother-in-law asked me for permission to marry my sister because I was the eldest male of the family. He brought me a gift. My father abandoned my mother and us kids before I was born, and my grandfather was dead.

I really didn’t see the need for them to have my permission to marry, but I went ahead and gave it as it was important to him.

He also had to get his father’s permission too.

4 Likes

It was kind of you to respect his beliefs and give the ok.

2 Likes

He left the US with his parents when he was four years old, but came back for college and asserted his citizenship rights. Both of his two brothers are naturalized US citizens.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.