Schizophrenia.com

My brother and I are back to communicating with each other

Had a bit of an argument 2 weeks ago with my brother.
He’s definitely a strange bird.

Always the center of the universe.

Anyway, decided to break the ice and text him.

He texted back.

I’m trying to keep things amicable between us.

I know he can’t change, so I’m accepting him the way he is.

He is my only sibling after all.

11 Likes

Sounds like you have employed a good strategy!

2 Likes

Thanks @Jayster

that’s nice =)
it’s good you have contact with your brother again.

1 Like

Glad you two are communicating. I mean, after age 30, we’re all kinda strange birds, aren’t we? I wonder if you two could go out for a meal together and maybe talk about stuff and try to bond. Maybe coffee even. I’d have given anything to have had a sibling to be there for me as my world crumbled around me, instead of an abusive father and stepmother. Not trying to make this about me, I guess what I’m saying is you two should work together and help each other out. :slight_smile:

1 Like

This wouldn’t be possible.
He still resents me.

Just trying to get him to text back 2 words is a success.

1 Like

I hear ya, I do, but hear me out on this:

I have a narcissistic uncle, maybe similar to your brother. He still resents me and my behavior from when I lived with him in 1995. Long time to hold onto a grudge. I called him up out of the blue in 2012 (had to do some sleuthing to get his number), and while our initial conversations were rough and tense, we began to trust each other a bit. He’s still got me at arm’s length, but we text and call on a regular basis.

Your brother is who he is. Perhaps if you approached him with an olive branch, he would listen more. I dunno where he stands on all this, and why he resents you, etc., because I’m obviously just a rando on the internet, but I think as our lives draw closer to the end than the beginning, family becomes more important. They may be the ones that take care of us when we’re old.

Just my two cents. Like I said, I’m just a dude on the internet, but I think you and I are friendly enough to know that I wouldn’t give you what I think is bad advice on purpose.

1 Like

Yes @alien99 thanks.
Maybe I’ll slowly text him and call him more often.
But I realize he likes his space too.

If I contact him I’m going to keep things superficial.

He doesn’t like deep conversations.

As long as I keep the focus on him and his life then he becomes agreeable.

1 Like

I’m happy for you that you were able to clear the air. Must be a load off. Good for you. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Thanks @melmel7

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.