My body is rejecting all of this beer

A higher power helps many alcoholics and addicts to quit. It’s part of the 12-step programs. Relying on and leaning on something greater than yourself.
In AA they say,
" I can’t", …
“But we can”…
In other words, it’s hard to quit on your own, but with the help and support of other people and a higher power it’s very possible. I was a great non-believer in God or anything like that when I first joined the program. Some people get a working idea of a pesonal higher power quickly when they join AA, CA, or NA, it took me a few years but I soon found myself comforted by getting on my knees and praying. Does prayer work? Many people prove that it doesn’t. But for me, the benefits are: Being disciplined, having faith and hope in something, and structure. That’s the benefits I get from praying.

1 Like

Yeah when I’m well goto church and it’s something I am aiming for now. I’m glad you found God just in time.

1 Like

Hi you can stop I don’t know what your condition is but maybe a trip to the doctor tell them you are self medicating they’re may be some sort of treatment that can help with the underlying condition.

Huh, they never suggested that and he knows I’m a heavy drinker, but as someone else suggested on here, maybe the effexor script was a little bit for that purpose?

Sorry I though syncs whatever was a condition it’s an anti passing out drug isn’t it for low blood pressure only you can quit but I believe you can do it!

I always find it helpful if I don’t want to eat or drink something - I just keep it out of my house. I don’t buy it. If its in my house - its going to get consumed. But - if I can keep it out of my house - I’m fine.

2 Likes

Know how you feel, I was a 12 pack a day at home type of guy and then I’d go out to a bar or a farm to drink more. It just was empty calories being taken in and my liver was screaming for a chance to recover. I haven’t drank in almost two weeks and I’m starting to recover from my withdrawals. I hope that you don’t give up and maybe try a medicine called naltrexone to help with cravings and blocking the receptors of the brain that make you feel drunk when you drink. Without that medicine, I don’t think I’d have accomplished so much thus far.

As for drinking on my birthday in july, that’s also a no go.

I’m kind of one of those guys who does it all or nothing with drinking. I don’t stop drinking ever and keep going or I just stop it forever and don’t look back. There’s not really too much moderation with me when it comes to drinking alcohol and I knew it was about time to give up the habit and lose the weight and get healthy again.

While I detoxed I felt really really crappy, I slept and I sweat my ass off in bed hoping things would turn better. And man did I stink. I mean all those toxins and your liver finally cycling out that crap from just quitting can make you a real stinky mess.

Don’t give up, I think you’ll do okay.

3 Likes

congratulations @neveragain two weeks is incredible !! Keep it up !!

2 Likes

Thanks again, it’s great to know that I’m not the only person diagnosed that has these problems. I’m not alone I guess.

1 Like

No you are not alone. The rooms of AA often have recovering addicts who have visited the psyche ward. No one forces you (or me) to disclose but I rest a little bit easier knowing that the people in those rooms are not perfect. And dual diagnosis groups have sprung up in many places. AA gives support and the members freely share their knowledge of how they got clean and how they stay clean.

Yes, for a heavy drinker, two weeks clean is a big deal. Remember, first and foremost, you are getting sober for YOU. A “sober you” may make those around you in your life happy but you are doing it for YOU.

1 Like

Right. Thanks.

1 Like

Never again I am so glad to hear you’ve beatlen the firewater some people can drink and have a few and go home other people really shouldn’t drink at all that’s me! Well done! No small thing you have donexxxxxx

You might try Alcoholics Anonymous. If you don’t like one group, shop around. In any town of any size there are several different AA groups.

Do you have activities to occupy your time?

Before I got a job i’d binge for weeks sometimes then pay in spades after but now I’ve got the responsibility of getting to work on time and not drunk OR hungover so it’s really helped me.

Hey man don’t make a habit of selfmedicating with alcohol because it might not be worth it later.

I’ve done it for years and not only do I feel “normal” enough to interact with society but im also constantly nauseated and I think that my liver is shutting down.

I got into an argument with my gf yesterday that was pretty knock down drag out and we both were really frustrated. Without taking naltrexone I may have started drinking again but I did my best and didn’t have a drop. I feel better this morning and we worked things out, I think that in the future we’ll do couples therapy once in awhile to get ideas on how we can function better as a team.

Is she mentally ill too?

That is awesome that you didn’t drink, you are so much stronger than me, and a good example, thank you.

And great that you’re not giving up on each other, however, if the relationship is your new toxicity, I would think about your best interest.

No she’s not mentally ill just me. No we don’t really give up too easily.

Take what is good and helpful, and not what is harmful, every day the choice must be for the better of your soul and the fruit of the mind. Dr Zen

1 Like