My biggest pet peeve

When you go to a store and the person helping you isn’t the owner and they say “I don’t have it in stock”. Rather than “we don’t have it in stock”. The I vs. we thing really bothers me. It’s not your fricking store…you work for a giant corporation, it’s not I, it’s “we”. !!!

2 Likes

asking me to do something you can do yourself and then never getting a thank you - like it is just expected.

1 Like

It kinda bugs me when customers (at Starbucks for example) say “Can I get a …” instead of " I would like to order a …". It’s like the customer is asking permission to purchase something.

3 Likes

When I was working at a coffee shop people would start, “Can I ask for a…” and I would usually answer with “Sure, ask away” :smile:

But people rarely do this here, I consider it polite actually, now it’s just “A coffee please” sometimes without the “please”

5 Likes

There’s another one, but I’m not sure it fits in english… People here in restaurants say a lot “I would like (in the past tense)” and the waiter usually answers with “Why, you don’t want it anymore?” Lol it’s like a transversal funny one here. It’s one of my pet peeves when I’m asking, but I usually did it as well as a waiter :smile:

1 Like

Lol it doesn’t translate to stupid English well…

I would have liked…a coffee
Well what do you want now?
I think it works in every other language as a good joke though…

Our language is dumb…English and esp american English or common England english …make no sense…rules that don’t apply to much no masculin or feminine versions of words ect…so English is a pet peeve…

2 Likes

English is an easy language I think, it has it’s complications, but it’s widely used because it’s easy to learn. Unlike french or spanish.

1 Like

There’s a reason English is one of the hardest languages to learn. Other languages make more sense, but if you start with English it seems more difficult to get your mind around the other language concepts. Crazy…

1 Like

English is the baby language who is ignorant to a lot of the subtle beauty in other languages form and constructs…

1 Like

I agree their gutteral and deep harsh sounds…but I still thought it was great on German and Russian women lol I was a teen though so I blame that…

2 Likes

Oh no, I’m annoying! When I ask for a coffee I say “may I please get a…” :disappointed:

Ooo you as a German called it German instead of Deutch and deutchland…I’m telling …wow I can’t spell in deutch…schiesse…

1 Like

Verdammte Scheiße! :scream:

1 Like

Where’s the double s letter that I thought was a b for the first year…so strasse was strabe to me lol there’s a letter for it in their keyboards…yea I got no double s on my phone…that’s crap I would use that in English when It fits like kib

1 Like

Nah, using “may” is better than using “can”, plus you used the magic word “please”.

“Can” implies physical or mental ability whereas “may” implies permission or authorization So when someone says “Can I get a grande latte?”, the classic comeback is “Sure you can, but do you want to”.

2 Likes

My biggest pet peeve is that my little dog barks at the TV. She also jumps up and down in front of the TV when she’s barking.

If she even hears the “cue music” for one of her favorite commercials she’ll come running to the TV from wherever she is in the house. :dog: :tv: :weary:

2 Likes

My biggest pet peeve is loose coins left on the table.

That’s cute! :blush:

1 Like

As a kid about 10-11 I had a babysitter in Germany. Her daughter taught me a song using the chorus part of this and we added to it as I learned more words. I love the German language.

Danke Schön Bitte Schön
wiedersehen
noch ein bier
kommen sie hier
ein grosse
ein kleine
I nichts verstehen
I wish I could Sprechen Sie Deutsch

1 Like

Nice work lol your spelling is much better than mine…I can read it all…