Schizophrenia.com

Music recalls memories

So many of my CDs seem to make me remember how I was psychotic when I heard them for the first time.

Yeah, especially U2 unforgettable fire, and R.E.M. out of time. But I rarely listen to them. Even Bob Mould’s workbook cd has me distressed when I hear it now. Good to get new music, and move on.

1 Like

Those CDs are my era too but I was well when they were out so have good memories of them (but not heard of Bob Mould until now). Good new music is so hard to find though. I’m starting to think I’ve grown out of it.

All Songs Considered, or local NPR station at night should draw you in. When in doubt, go to your music outlet online and type in your favorite, and they will say what others bought with this CD. I trust reviews too, and I give some sometimes.

1 Like

both sounds and smells facilitate recollection- things are paired with them. It goes back to when we were not living in modern society (evolutionary stuff) and certain smells meant great repercussions and sounds were also indicative of very important things such as food, environmental hazards (lightning and thunder and rain, for example), predators, familiar voices of others, ect.

1 Like

Yes I once read that smells in particular are tied to the part of the brain that remains from when we were reptiles.

I have a specific memory for almost all of my songs. It’s actually fun to relive it…sometimes

1 Like

Music always brings good memories for me…except when I was living in the sober house or rehab.

Summer of 2013 I listened to Karma Police by Radiohead and that brings good memories of walking around the block. I’m gonna listen to that now.

1 Like

I was on probation without a license and just walked to the beach all day while my parents were at work and listened to this

i was “sober for this”

that was fall of 2011 I believe…seems like good times in hindsight

1 Like