Moved in with family member

I had to move in with a family member due to me being “unsafe to live by myself”. I’ve been handcuffed and have tried suicide. I’ve left my dream job and home to live in a state that I don’t like with no support groups. I’ve been in and out of hospitals thinking that I’m finally better until I have a delusion and it starts up again. I don’t have a therapist or psychiatrist right now and my voices are just as bad as ever.

I guess I needed a rant and need someone to talk to. Are there any mental health books that I can read?

Are you on medication?

There are plenty of good books you can read but you really need to be in treatment.

Surviving Schizophrenia by Torrey is a good read. I also liked Schizophrenia for dummies. They are more information than stories though.

1 Like

I’m on medication and it works but not enough. My insurance may not cover everything because I had to resign at my workplace.

That’s tough. If you had to quit your job you should apply for disability. It takes a while to process. Sooner is better.

I hope your family understands and are supportive. Good luck. :four_leaf_clover:

I’m sorry you had to uproot your life. Major changes are always hard for me.

If you’re looking for hope, this video changed my life. Elyn Saks is a doctor and lawyer who has literally rewritten the laws on the treatment of mentally ill people in America. She has schizophrenia, and she uses that to fuel her desire to change the world. When I was first diagnosed, I thought it was a death sentence. When I saw her talk, I finally thought it was possible to recover. This is her Ted Talk. She also has a book called The Center Cannot Hold.

1 Like

I hope that you stay safe.

Schizophrenia for dummies is my favorite.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.